1991 Cannes Film Festival
|Closing film||Thelma & Louise|
|Awards||Palme d'Or (Barton Fink)|
|No. of films||19 (En Competition)|
20 (Un Certain Regard)
7 (Out of Competition)
11 (Short Film)
|Festival date||9 May 1991 – 20 May 1991|
The following people were appointed as the Jury of the 1991 Camera d'Or:
- Géraldine Chaplin (actress) (United States) President
- Didier Beaudet (France)
- Eva Sirbu (journalist) (Romania)
- Fernando Lara (cinephile) (Spain)
- Gilles Colpart (critic) (France)
- Jan Aghed (journalist) (Sweden)
- Myriam Zemmour (cinephile) (France)
- Roger Kahane (director) (France)
In competition - Feature film
Un Certain Regard
The following films were selected for the competition of Un Certain Regard:
- Boyz n the Hood by John Singleton
- Burial of a Potato (Pogrzeb kartofla) by Jan Jakub Kolski
- A Captive in the Land by John Berry
- The Chosen One (Ishanou) by Aribam Syam Sharma
- Comrade Chkalov Crosses the North Pole (Perekhod tovarishcha Chkalova cherez severnyy polyus) by Maksim Pezhemsky
- L'entraînement du champion avant la course by Bernard Favre
- Escape from the 'Liberty' Cinema (Ucieczka z kina 'Wolnosc') by Wojciech Marczewski
- Fire! (1991 film) (Ta Dona) by Adama Drabo
- Friends, Comrades (Ystävät, toverit) by Rauni Mollberg
- Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse by Fax Bahr, George Hickenlooper
- Holidays on the River Yarra by Leo Berkeley
- In the Alleys of Love (Dar kouchehay-e eshq) by Khosrow Sinai
- Lebewohl, Fremde by Tevfik Başer
- Paths of Death and Angels (Halálutak és angyalok) by Zoltán Kamondi
- The Red Flute (Mest) by Yermek Shinarbayev
- The Tradition (Laada) by Drissa Toure
- Sango Malo by Bassek Ba Kobhio
- Treasure Island (L'île au trésor) by Raúl Ruiz
- Woman of the Port (La mujer del puerto) by Arturo Ripstein
- Yumeji by Seijun Suzuki
Films out of competition
- Le film du cinéma suisse by Michel Soutter, Jean-François Amiguet
- Jacquot de Nantes by Agnès Varda
- Life Stinks by Mel Brooks
- Madonna: Truth or Dare (aka. In Bed with Madonna) by Alek Keshishian
- Prospero's Books by Peter Greenaway
- Rhapsody in August (Hachigatsu no rapusodī) by Akira Kurosawa
- Thelma & Louise by Ridley Scott
Short film competition
The following short films competed for the Short Film Palme d'Or:
- Broken Skin by Anna Campion
- Casino by Gil Bauwens
- Les éffaceurs by Gérald Frydman
- Ja walesa by Jacek Skalski
- Mal de blocs by Marc Saint-Pierre, Nathalie Saint-Gelais
- La Noce by Régis Obadia, Joëlle Bouvier
- Nokturno by Nikola Majdak
- Push Comes to Shove by Bill Plympton
- La vie selon Luc by Jean-Paul Civeyrac
- W.A.L. by Robert Turlo
- With Hands Raised (Z podniesionymi rekami) by Mitko Panov
International Critics' Week
The following films were screened for the 30th International Critics' Week (30e Semaine de la Critique):
Feature film competition
- Diaby, Diably by Dorota Kedzierzawska (Poland)
- Laafi - Tout va bien by S. Pierre Yameogo (Burkina Faso)
- Liquid Dreams by Mark S. Manos (United States)
- Robert’s Movie by Canan Gerede (Turkey)
- Sam & Me by Deepa Mehta (Canada)
- Trumpet Number 7 by Adrian Velicescu (United States)
- La Vie des morts by Arnaud Desplechin (France)
- Young Soul Rebels by Isaac Julien (U.K.)
Short film competition
- Carne by Gaspar Noé (France)
- Die mysreriosen lebenslinien by David Rühm (Austria)
- Livraison à domicile by Claude Philippot (France)
- A Nice Arrangement by Gurinder Chadha (U.K.)
- Once Upon a Time by Kristian Petri (Sweden)
- Petit drame dans la vie d’une femme by Andrée Pelletier (Canada)
- Une Symphonie du havre by Barbara Doran (Canada)
The following films were screened for the 1991 Directors' Fortnight (Quinzaine des Réalizateurs):
- The Adjuster by Atom Egoyan
- Annabelle partagée by Francesca Comencini
- The Cabinet of Dr. Ramirez by Peter Sellars
- Chichkhan by Fadhel Jaïbi, M. Ben Mahmoud
- Danzón by Maria Novaro
- O Drapetis by Lefteris Xanthopoulos
- És mégis... by Zsolt Kezdi-Kovacs
- An Imaginary Tale (Une histoire inventée) by André Forcier
- The Indian Runner by Sean Penn
- Lost In Siberia by Alexandre Mitta
- Ovo Malo Duse by Ademir Kenovic
- Paris Trout by Stephen Gyllenhaal
- Proof by Jocelyn Moorhouse
- Rebro Adama by Viatcheslav Krichtofovitch
- Riff-Raff by Ken Loach
- Toto the Hero (Toto le héros) by Jaco Van Dormael
- Suffocating Heat (Caldo soffocante) by Giovanna Gagliardo
- Short films
- Le Caire by Youssef Chahine
- Palme d'Or: Barton Fink by Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
- Grand Prize of the Jury: La Belle Noiseuse by Jacques Rivette
- Best Director: Joel Coen for Barton Fink
- Best Actress: Irène Jacob for The Double Life of Véronique (La double vie de Véronique)
- Best Actor: John Turturro for Barton Fink
- Best Supporting Actor: Samuel L. Jackson for Jungle Fever
- Jury Prize:
- Caméra d'Or: Toto le Héros by Jaco Van Dormael
- Caméra d'Or - Special Mention: Proof by Jocelyn Moorhouse & Sam & Me by Deepa Mehta
- The Double Life of Véronique (La double vie de Véronique) by Krzysztof Kieślowski (In competition)
- Riff-Raff by Ken Loach (Directors' Fortnight)
Commission Supérieure Technique
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury: La double vie de Véronique by Krzysztof Kieślowski
- Ecumenical Jury - Special Mention: Jungle Fever by Spike Lee & La Belle Noiseuse by Jacques Rivette
- "Posters 1991". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 14 December 2013.
- "Awards 1991: All Awards". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 26 August 2014.
- "Official Selection 1991: All the Selection". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 14 December 2013.
- "44ème Festival International du Film - Cannes". cinema-francais.fr (in French). Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "'Barton Fink' Wins the Top Prize And 2 Others at Cannes Festival". nytimes.com. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Coen Brothers' "Barton Fink" Wins Golden Palm At Cannes". deseretnews.com. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "American Film Wins At Cannes, But Madonna Comes A Cropper". articles.philly.com. Archived from the original on 18 December 2013.
- "The Cinematic Carnival Of Cannes". Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "`Barton Fink` Makes History At Cannes Fest". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Juries 1991: Feature film". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 15 April 2016.
- "30e Selecion de la Semaine de la Critique - 1991". archives.semainedelacritique.com. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Quinzaine 1991". quinzaine-realisateurs.com. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "1991 - Le Jury, Les Prix". cannes-fest.com (in French). Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Cannes Film Festival Awards for 1991". imdb.com. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "FIPRESCI Awards 1991". fipresci.org. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Jury Œcuménique 1991". cannes.juryoecumenique.org. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1991 Cannes Film Festival.|