1988 Kensington by-election
The Kensington by-election, in Kensington, on 14 July 1988 was held after the death of Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) Brandon Rhys-Williams. Normally a relatively safe Conservative seat, it was narrowly won by Dudley Fishburn, who would retain the seat in 1992.
- John Connell was a peace advocate who opposed what he saw as manipulation of the news by ITN.
- John Crowley described himself as an 'Anti Yuppie Revolutionary Crowleyist, Vegetarian Visionary'.
- John Duignan was a supporter of the Class War organisation.
- Roy Edey called for equal redistribution of wealth and a policy of social housing construction.
- Dudley Fishburn was a former editor of The Economist.
- William Goodhart was a leading human rights lawyer who has since taken a seat in the House of Lords.
- Brian Goodier described himself as an 'Anti-Left Wing Fascist'.
- Phylip Hobson was the Green Party candidate.
- Ann Holmes was again a candidate for this seat in the 1992 general election. and subsequently became a councillor in the City of London.
- John Martin was a candidate for the dissident wing of the SDP that had rejected membership of the Social and Liberal Democrats.
- Thomas McDermott was the founder of the Free Trade Liberal Party and campaigned on a platform of the UK leaving the European Community.
- Cynthia Payne, who had been convicted of controlling a brothel, ran under the 'Rainbow Alliance Payne and Pleasure Party' banner.
- William Scola represented his own 'Leveller Party'.
- Screaming Lord Sutch was the leader and founder of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party.
- Kailash Trivedi ran as candidate for the 'Janata Party' (Peoples Party in Hindi and the name of a former governing party in India), his own creation.
|Social and Liberal Democrats||William Goodhart||2,546||10.77||−6.5|
|Rainbow Alliance – Payne & Pleasure||Cynthia Payne||193||0.82||N/A|
|Monster Raving Loony||Screaming Lord Sutch||61||0.26||N/A|
|London Class War Candidate||John Duignan||60||0.25||N/A|
|Anti Left-Wing Fascist||Brian Goodier||31||0.13||N/A|
|Free Trade Liberal – Europe Out!||Thomas McDermott||31||0.13||N/A|
|Fair Wealth & Health||Roy Edey||30||0.13||N/A|
|Leveller Party||William Scola||27||0.11||N/A|
|Peace – Stop ITN Manipulation||John Connell||20||0.08||N/A|
|Independent Janata Party||Kailash Trivedi||5||0.02||N/A|
The results for the previous election were:
|Social Democratic||William Goodhart||5,379||17.2||−4.9|
|Public Independent Plaintiff Party||Muriel Hughes||30||0.1||N/A|
- Boothroyd, David. "Results of Byelections in the 1983-87 Parliament". United Kingdom Election Results. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- Dudley Fishburn
- "Lord William Goodhart". Archived from the original on 14 August 2007. Retrieved 1 July 2008.
- Ann Holmes
- Ann Holmes, Farringdon Within
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.