1982 in sports
1982 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
|Years in sports:||1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985|
|Centuries:||19th century · 20th century · 21st century|
|Decades:||1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s|
|Years:||1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985|
- World Cup in Spain – Italy beats West Germany 3-1 for their third title.
- Champions' Cup – Aston Villa 1-0 Bayern München
- UEFA Cup – Two legs; 1st leg IFK Göteborg 1-0 Hamburger SV; 2nd leg Hamburger SV 0-3 IFK Göteborg. IFK Göteborg won 4-0 on aggregate. 66 fans died in the Luzhniki disaster during the UEFA Cup second round match between FC Spartak Moscow and HFC Haarlem in Moscow on 20 October.
- Cup Winners' Cup – Barcelona 2-1 Standard Liège
- Super Cup – Two legs; 1st leg Barcelona 1-0 Aston Villa; 2nd leg Aston Villa 3-0 Barcelona. Aston Villa won 3-1 on aggregate
- Copa Libertadores de América – Two legs; 1st leg Peñarol 0-0 Cobreloa; 2nd leg Cobreloa 0-1 Peñarol. Peñarol win 1-0 on aggregate
- England – FA Cup – Tottenham Hotspur won 1-0 over Queens Park Rangers
- Victorian Football League
- Carlton wins the 86th VFL Premiership (Carlton 14.19 (103) d Richmond 12.13 (83))
- Brownlow Medal awarded to Brian Wilson (Melbourne)
- The inaugural VFL Players Association Most Valuable Player Award goes to Leigh Matthews (Hawthorn). The award would be renamed the Leigh Matthews Trophy in his honour in 2002.
- March 27 – KBO League, a professional baseball league in South Korea, a first officially game held.
- May 30 – Cal Ripken Jr. of the Baltimore Orioles plays the first of what will become a record-breaking 2,632 consecutive games
- July 13 – Montreal hosts the first MLB All-Star Game outside the United States. Reds SS Dave Concepción hits a 2-run home run in the 2nd inning to spark the National League to its 11th consecutive win over the American League 4-1. The NL has now won 19 of the last 20 contests. Concepción was named the MVP.
- August 18 – Pete Rose sets record with his 13,941st plate appearance.
- World Series – St. Louis Cardinals won 4 games to 3 over the Milwaukee Brewers to claim their first World Championship since 1967. The Series MVP was Cardinals catcher Darrell Porter.
- The Salem Angels won the Northwest League championship.
- NCAA Men's Basketball Championship –
- North Carolina wins 63-62 over Georgetown
- NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship
- Louisiana Tech wins 76–62 over Cheyney State
- NBA Finals –
- National Basketball League (Australia) Finals:
- FIBA World Championship
- USSR World Champion
- May 4 to May 15 – 1982 World Amateur Boxing Championships held in Munich
- June 11 – Larry Holmes defeats Gerry Cooney for the WBC Heavyweight title. Cooney, a white challenger, was dubbed "The White Hope" in what built up to be a very racially toned fight: see Larry Holmes vs. Gerry Cooney.
- November 12 – Aaron Pryor defeats Alexis Argüello in what would later be called the fight of the decade. Pryor retained the WBA's world Jr. Welterweight title with a 14th round knockout
- November 13 – Ray Mancini defeats Duk Koo Kim by knockout in 14 rounds in a tragic fight. Kim died five days later and the fight's outcome brought many new resolutions to boxing.
- December 3 – The Carnival of Champions
- Men's World Cup held in Bombay won by Pakistan
- Men's Champions Trophy held at Amstelveen in the Netherlands and won by the host nation
- Gaelic football
- Ladies' Gaelic football
- Masters Tournament – Craig Stadler
- U.S. Open – Tom Watson
- British Open – Tom Watson
- PGA Championship – Raymond Floyd
- PGA Tour money leader – Craig Stadler – $446,462
- Senior PGA Tour money leader – Miller Barber – $106,890
- United States Pacing Triple Crown races –
- United States Trotting Triple Crown races –
- Australian Inter Dominion Harness Racing Championship –
- Pacers: Rhett's Law
- Australia – Melbourne Cup won by Gurner's Lane
- Canada – Queen's Plate won by Son of Briartic
- France – Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe won by Akiyda
- Ireland – Irish Derby Stakes won by Assert
- Japan – Japan Cup won by Half Iced
- English Triple Crown Races:
- United States Triple Crown Races:
- Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Wayne Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers
- Stanley Cup – New York Islanders win 4-0 over the Vancouver Canucks
- World Hockey Championship –
- 1982 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain and France
- 1982 KB Cup
- 1982 New Zealand rugby league season
- 1982 NSWRFL season – Parramatta Eels win their second title, defeating Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 21-8 in the final.
- 1981–82 Rugby Football League season / 1982–83 Rugby Football League season
- 1982 State of Origin series
- Grand Slam in tennis men's results:
- Grand Slam in tennis women's results:
- Davis Cup – United States won 4-1 over France in world tennis.
- Billie Jean King makes her final singles appearance at the US Open, losing in the first round.
- Total prize money at US Open exceeds 1 million US dollars.