1982 Cannes Film Festival
Official poster of the 35th Cannes Film Festival, adapted from an original drawing by Italian film director Federico Fellini.
|Closing film||E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial|
|Awards||Palme d'Or (Missing, Yol)|
|No. of films||22 (In Competition)|
16 (Un Certain Regard)
8 (Out of Competition)
8 (Short Film)
|Festival date||14 May 1982 – 26 May 1982|
In competition - Feature film
- À toute allure by Robert Kramer
- Another Way (Egymásra nézve) by Károly Makk
- Britannia Hospital by Lindsay Anderson
- Cecilia by Humberto Solás
- Day of the Idiots (Tag der Idioten) by Werner Schroeter
- Fitzcarraldo by Werner Herzog
- Hammett by Wim Wenders
- Identification of a Woman (Identificazione di una donna) by Michelangelo Antonioni
- A Ilha dos Amores by Paulo Rocha
- Invitation au voyage by Peter Del Monte
- Missing by Costa Gavras
- Moonlighting by Jerzy Skolimowski
- The Night of the Shooting Stars (La Notte di San Lorenzo) by Paolo and Vittorio Taviani
- Passion by Jean-Luc Godard
- The Return of the Soldier by Alan Bridges
- Sandstorm (Vent de sable) by Mohammed Lakhdar-Hamina
- Shoot the Moon by Alan Parker
- Smithereens by Susan Seidelman
- Sweet Inquest on Violence (Douce enquête sur la violence) by Gérard Guérin
- That Night in Varennes (La Nuit de Varennes) by Ettore Scola
- The True Story of Ah Q (Ah Q zheng zhuan) by Fan Cen
- Yol by Şerif Gören and Yılmaz Güney
Un Certain Regard
The following films were selected for the competition of Un Certain Regard:
- Elia Kazan Outsider by Annie Tresgot
- Elippathayam by Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Five and the Skin (Cinq et la peau) by Pierre Rissient
- Forty Deuce by Paul Morrissey
- A Girl's Tears (O lacrima de fata) by Iosif Demian
- Heart and Guts (Das Tripas Coração) by Ana Carolina
- A Letter to Freddy Buache (Lettre à Freddy Buache) by Jean-Luc Godard
- Little Wars (Les petites guerres) by Maroun Bagdadi
- Monkey Grip by Ken Cameron
- Roza by Hristoforos Hristofis
- See You in the Next War (Nasvidenje v naslednji vojni) by Živojin Pavlović
- Tree of Knowledge (Kundskabens træ) by Nils Malmros
- The Wind (Finye) by Souleymane Cissé
- Une villa aux environs de New York by Benoît Jacquot
Films out of competition
- Bonjour Mr. Lewis by Robert Benayoun
- Brel by Frédéric Rossif
- Chronopolis by Piotr Kamler
- Creepshow by George A. Romero
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial by Steven Spielberg
- Intolerance by D. W. Griffith
- The Mystery of Picasso (Le mystère Picasso) by Henri-Georges Clouzot
- Parsifal by Hans-Jürgen Syberberg
- Pink Floyd – The Wall by Alan Parker
Short film competition
The following short films competed for the Short Film Palme d'Or:
International Critics' Week
The following feature films were screened for the 21st International Critics' Week (21e Semaine de la Critique):
- The Angel by Patrick Bokanowski (France)
- Czule miejsca (Des points sensibles) by Piotr Andrejew (Poland)
- Dhil al ardh (L’Ombre de la terre) by Taieb Louhichi (Tunisia/ France)
- Half a Life (Mourir à trente ans) by Romain Goupil (France)
- Jom by Ababacar Samb-Makharam (Senegal)
- The Painter by Güran Du Rees and Christina Olofson (Sweden)
- Parti sans laisser d'adresse by Jacqueline Veuve (Switzerland)
The following films were screened for the 1982 Directors' Fortnight (Quinzaine des Réalizateurs):
- Arais Min Kassab by Jillali Ferhati
- At by Ali Ozgentürk
- Batch 81 by Mike De Leon
- Bolivar, Sinfonia Tropical by Diego Risquez
- Daimler-Benz Limousine (Limuzyna Daimler-Benz) by Filip Bajon
- Dakhal by Goutam Ghose
- Falensterul by Savel Stiopul
- La Familia Orozco by Jorge Reyes
- Wild Flowers (Les fleurs sauvages) by Jean Pierre Lefebvre
- Heatwave by Philip Noyce
- India, Daughter of the Sun (India, A Filha do Sol) by Fabio Barreto
- Kaliyugaya by Lester James Peries
- Kisapmata by Mike De Leon
- Les Papiers d’Aspern by Eduardo de Gregorio
- The Scarecrow by Sam Pillsbury
- Sekka Tomurai Zashi by Yoichi Takabayashi
- The Story Of Woo Viet by Ann Hui
- Time Stands Still (Megáll az idő) by Peter Gothar
- Too Far to Go by Fielder Cook
- La vela incantata by Gianfranco Mingozzi
- Short films
- Bogus by Ghislain Honoré, Jacques Lizzi
- Carry On Britannia by Stuart Rumens
- Coeurs Marins by Carlos Pedro de Andrade Jr
- Faces by (director not stated)
- Gratia Plena by (director not stated)
- Sopa de Pollo de Mama by Carlos Castillo
- Palme d'Or:
- Grand Prix: The Night of the Shooting Stars (La Notte di San Lorenzo) by Paolo and Vittorio Taviani
- Best Director: Werner Herzog for Fitzcarraldo
- Best Screenplay: Jerzy Skolimowski for Moonlighting
- Best Actress: Jadwiga Jankowska-Cieślak for Another Way (Egymásra nézve)
- Best Actor: Jack Lemmon for Missing
- Best Artistic Contribution: Bruno Nuytten (cinematographer) for Invitation au voyage
- 35th Anniversary Prize: Identificazione di una donna by Michelangelo Antonioni
- Yol by Şerif Gören and Yilmaz Güney (Unanimously)
- Another Way by Károly Makk (special award)
- Wild Flowers (Les fleurs sauvages) by Jean Pierre Lefebvre (Directors' Fortnight)
Commission Supérieure Technique
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury: The Night of the Shooting Stars (La Notte di San Lorenzo) by Paolo and Vittorio Taviani
- Ecumenical Jury - Special Mention: Dhil al ardh by Taieb Louhichi & Yol by Şerif Gören and Yilmaz Güney
- Honorary Award: "Hommage à Satyajit Ray"
- "Posters 1982". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 16 December 2013.
- "Awards 1982: All Awards". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 16 December 2013.
- "Official Selection 1982: All the Selection". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 16 December 2013.
- "35ème Festival International du Film - Cannes". cinema-francais.fr (in French). Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "1982 - Identification d'une Palme (Identification of a Palm)". cannes-fest.com (in French). Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- Eder, Richard (20 May 1982). "At Cannes, A Search For Excitement". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "The opening films at Cannes". vodkaster.com. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Steven Spielberg to head up Cannes Film Festival jury". BBC News. 28 February 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- Itzkoff, Dave (28 February 2013). "Steven Spielberg Will Be Jury President at Cannes Film Festival". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Juries 1982: Feature film". festival-cannes.fr. Archived from the original on 15 April 2016.
- "21e Selecion de la Semaine de la Critique - 1982". archives.semainedelacritique.com. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Quinzaine 1982". quinzaine-realisateurs.com. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "FIPRESCI Awards 1982". fipresci.org. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Jury Œcuménique 1982". cannes.juryoecumenique.org. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Cannes Film Festival Awards for 1982". imdb.com. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Personal Awards". Satyajit Ray official site. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- INA: Opening ceremony of the 1982 Festival (commentary in French)