1860 in Australia
- Premier of New South Wales - William Forster until 8 March then John Robertson
- Premier of Queensland - Robert Herbert
- Premier of South Australia - Richard Hanson until 9 May then Thomas Reynolds
- Premier of Tasmania - Francis Smith until 1 November then William Weston
- Premier of Victoria - William Nicholson until 26 November then Richard Heales
- 20 August - Burke and Wills expedition sets off from Royal Park, Melbourne at about 4pm watched by around 15,000 spectators.
- 12 November - The Victorian College for the Deaf is opened in a small house in Peel Street Windsor.
- 12 December - Initial riots on the Lambing Flat goldfields near present-day Young, New South Wales.