1859 in Australia
The following lists events that happened during 1859 in Australia.
- 14 May – Melbourne Football Club is founded.
- 6 June – The colony of Queensland is established by decree of Queen Victoria.
- July – Geelong Football Club is founded.
- 5 August – The passenger steamship SS Admella is shipwrecked on a submerged reef near Mount Gambier South Australia with the loss of 89 lives.
- 6 October – Thomas Austin takes 24 rabbits and 5 hares to Australia in order to release them there as a game. They will multiply exponentially.
- The first permanent educational institution for girls, the East Leigh, is founded in Melbourne by Elizabeth Tripp.
- "Detailed History". geelongcats.com.au. Geelong Cats. Retrieved 7 August 2017.