1843 Naval Air Squadron
|1843 Naval Air Squadron|
|Part of||Fleet Air Arm|
No.1843 Squadron Fleet Air Arm formed at Brunswick on 1. May 1944 as a single seater fighter squadron. Equipped with 18 Corsair IIIs, these were replaced by Mk.IIs before embarking in HMS Trouncer for the UK in August 1944. Joining the 10th Naval Fighter Wing, the squadron embarked in HMS Arbiter with 24 Corsair IVs in February 1945 and sailed to Australia, but saw no action before the war ended. In August it became part of the 3rd Carrier Air Group. The aircraft were withdrawn in September, and the squadron personnel sailed home in SS Stratheden to disband on arrival on 10. December 1945.
On 1. October 1952, No.1830A Squadron formed at Donibristle as an Anti-Submarine squadron of the Scottish Air Division of the RN Volunteer Reserve, moving shortly afterwards to Abbotsinch. It shared the aircraft of No.1830 Squadron, becoming No.1843 Squadron in March 1953. Avengers arrived in November 1955, but No.1843 disbanded on 10. March 1957 under the defence cuts of that year.
|May 1944||Aug 1944||Vought Corsair||III|
|Aug 1944||Jan 1945||Vought Corsair||II|
|Feb 1945||Sept 1945||Vought Corsair||IV|
- Sturtivant, Ballance 1994, p. 355.