1834 in Australia
- 1 January – The Western Australian Police Force is formed.
- 14 January – The ten remaining convicts at the Macquarie Harbour Penal Station hijack a brig and escape to Chile in the Frederick escape
- 28 February – The Battle of Pinjarra occurs in the Swan River Colony in present-day Pinjarra, Western Australia. Between 14-40 Aborigines are killed by British colonists.
- 19 November – The first permanent European settlement on the north coast of Bass Strait is established at Portland by Edward Henty.
- King, Hazel (1966), "Sir Richard Bourke", in Pike, Douglas (ed.), Australian Dictionary of Biography, 1, Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, pp. 128–133