1831 in Australia
The year of the Ripon Land Grant, which attracted many settlers to Australia.
- 4 March - James Stirling commissioned as Lieutenant-Governor of Western Australia, rectifying the absence of a legal instrument providing the authority detailed in Stirling's Instructions of 30 December 1828.
- 14 March - The Surprise, the first paddle steamer built in Australia, was launched in Sydney.
- 18 April - The Sydney daily newspaper and Australia's oldest newspaper The Sydney Morning Herald is first published.
- The Ripon Land Regulation Act provides land grants.
Arts and literature
- Australia's first novel, Quintus Servinton: A Tale founded upon Incidents of Real Occurrence was written and published in Tasmania . It was written by the convicted English forger Henry Savery and published anonymously.