1817 in Australia
- Monarch - George III
- 7 March – Bible Society of New South Wales is formed.
- 8 April – Australia's first bank, the Bank of New South Wales is established.
- 7 October – First Methodist Church in Australia opens in Castlereagh, New South Wales.
- 10 October – Bushranger Michael Howe is caught in Van Diemen's Land, but escapes after killing his captors.
- 21 December – Lachlan Macquarie recommends the adoption of the name Australia for the continent instead of New Holland.
- 22 December – The King expedition of 1817, to explore and make a rough survey of the northern and north-west coasts of Australia, departs Sydney.
- 7 December – William Bligh
- Barker, Anthony (1996). What Happened When. St Leonards: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 978-1-86373-986-3.