The 12.7×55mm Subsonic cartridge is used in some Russian firearms such as VKS bullpup sniper rifle and ASh-12.7 bullpup battle rifle and RSh-12 revolver. The cartridge can carry a projectile weighing between from 108 grains and 1173 grains. The round can penetrate up to 16 mm (0.63 in) of steel at 200 meters or heavy body armor at 100 meters. The accuracy of this cartridge is claimed as to be 1 MOA at 100 meters range. Despite having the same designation, it appears that the ASh would not be able to feed or chamber rounds designed for the VKS due to significant length differences in the bullet component of the cartridge.
|Place of origin||Russian Federation|
|Parent case||.338 Lapua Magnum|
|Bullet diameter||12.7 mm (0.50 in)|
|Case length||54 mm (2.1 in)|
|Overall length||94 mm (3.7 in)|
Cartridge variants for use in the VKS
- STs-130 (СЦ-130) - standard
- STs-130U (СЦ-130У) - for training
- STs-130PT (СЦ-130ПТ) - increased accuracy (59 gram bullet)
- STs-130PT2 (СЦ-130ПТ2) - increased accuracy (solid bronze bullet)
- STs-130VPS (СЦ-130ВПС) - increased penetration (76 gram bullet)
Cartridge variants for use in the ASh-12.7
- Legkaya Pulya (LP) or "Light Bullet" - Light supersonic sabot-born lead bullet with an aluminum core weighing 7 grams (108 grains).
- Tyazhelaya Pulya (TP) or "Heavy Bullet" - Heavy subsonic lead bullet weighing 33 grams (509 grains).
- Dvukhpul'niy (DP) or "Double-Bulleted" - Two bullets loaded inline weighing 17 grams (262 grains) each.
- Broneboynaya Pulya (BP) or "Armor-Piercing Bullet" - Lead bullet with an armor-piercing component weighing 18 grams (277 grains).