11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands
The 11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands is a communications formation of the British Army's 6th UK Division. Its headquarters is located at Venning Barracks, in Donnington in Shropshire.
|11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands|
|Active||1967 - Present|
|Part of||6th UK Division|
|Garrison/HQ||Venning Barracks, Donnington, Shropshire, England.|
|Brigadier Alexander J. Smith|
The brigade was formed as 11th Signal Group in Liverpool in 1967. It became 11th Signal Brigade in 1982 and was redesignated 11th (ARRC) Signal Brigade in 1992 and reverted to 11th Signal Brigade in 1997. In November 2014, 11th Signal Brigade amalgamated with 143 (West Midlands) Brigade to create a new formation, based at Venning Barracks in Donnington, named 11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands, with an additional role as a regional brigade for army regular and reserve units in the West Midlands counties. A formation parade took place at Donnington on 15 November 2014.
One of the brigade's responsibilities is to provide administrative support for around 8,000 Army personnel who are based in the region, as well as forming a vital link between the Army and its local communities. The Brigade has five Regular Army signal regiments and five Army Reserve Signal regiments. Under Army 2020, it is the Regional Point of Command for the West Midlands. In addition, it has command responsibilities for the Army Cadet Forces and some of the Army Reserve units in the region.
- 11th Signal Brigade and Headquarters West Midlands in Donnington
- 3rd Division Headquarters and Signal Regiment in Bulford
- 71st (City of London) Yeomanry Signal Regiment in Bexleyheath (Army Reserve - paired with 3rd Signal Regiment)
- 7 Signal Group in Stafford
- 1st Signal Regiment at Beacon Barracks moving to Salisbury Plain to support Strike Brigade
- 2nd Signal Regiment at Imphal Barracks to support the Strike Experimentation Group
- 10th Signal Regiment in Corsham
- 15th Signal Regiment (Information Support) at Blandford Camp
- 16th Signal Regiment at Beacon Barracks
- 21st Signal Regiment in Colerne moving to York
- 37th Signal Regiment in Redditch (Army Reserve - paired with 1st and 16th Signal Regiments)
- "6th UK Division". army.mod.uk. British Army. 1 August 2019. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- Lord, Cliff (2014). "The Royal Corps of Signals: Unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001), and Its Antecedents". Helion & Co. p. 131. ISBN 978-1874622925.
- "Flag is flying for new Army brigade". Shropshire Star. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "HQ 11th Signal and West Midlands Brigade". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Flag raising at Telford barracks marks new Army brigade". BBC. 16 November 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Army 2020 Report" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 June 2014.
- "Brigade units - British Army Website". web.archive.org. 13 January 2018. Retrieved 18 October 2019.