10th World Scout Jamboree
The 10th World Scout Jamboree was held 17–26 July 1959 and was hosted by the Philippines at Mount Makiling, Los Baños, Laguna. Dubbed "The Bamboo Jamboree" due to the prevalence of bamboo and nipa palm. There were a total 12,203 Scouts from 44 countries. The theme was "Building Tomorrow Today". It was the first World Scout Jamboree to be held outside Europe and Canada.
|10th World Scout Jamboree|
|Theme||Building Tomorrow Today|
- His Excellency Carlos Polestico Garcia, President of the Republic of the Philippines spoke at the opening.
- Attendees of the event included:
- Daniel Charles Spry, Director of the Boy Scouts World Bureau.
- The Right Honourable Thomas Godfrey Polson Corbett, the 2nd Baron Rowallan of Rowallan, third Chief Scout of the British territories.
- BSP President Jorge Bartolomé Vargas received the Bronze Wolf.
- The jamboree logo featured a Filipino salakót.
- The Manila firm of Charles W. Miller Sons Studio took formal photographic portraits of a representative Scout from each of the national contingents.
- The BSA contingent was led by Arthur Aloys Schuck (1895-1963), Chief Scout Executive (1948–60).
The Tenth World Jamboree Song
From every clime and region, we crossed mount, vale, and sea We're in the Philippines now for our World Jamboree. Here East and West are meeting, as Heaven so decrees We live and work and play in true fellowship and peace. Mabuhay to all Scouts who are here Let the message of BP now resound loud, long, and clear. I am your brother and friend, so take my hand For God and Country, Mankind and Scouting We shall stand, forever stand.
Australia: 19. Österreich: 3. België: 3. Brunei: 16. Burma: 1. Cambodia: 17. Canada: 93. Ceylon: 22. Zhōnghuá Mínguó: 545. Danmark: 2. Fiji: 1. Suomi 6. France & associates: 81. Bundesrepublik Deutschland: 1. Ellas: 12. Hong Kong: 62. Bharat: 14. Indonesia: 73. Irān: 4. Ireland: 2. Israel: 3. Italia: 3. Nihon: 519. Dae Han Min Guk: 121. Kuwait: 19. Laos: 21. Persekutuan Tanah Melayu: 122. Nederland: 6. New Guinea: 4. New Zealand: 15. North Borneo: 12. Norge: 2. Pākistān: 11. Pilipinas: 7863. Sarawak: 8. Singapore: 31. Sverige: 35. Suisse: 9. Thailand: 54. United Arab Republic: 7. United Kingdom: 112. United States of America: 309. Venezuela: 1. Việt Nam Cộng Hòa: 59. Scouts-in-Exile (Estonia, Magyarország, Lithuania, Polska, Ukrayina, Rossiya): 23.
- World Scout Bureau (January 2008). "World Scout Jamborees History". World Scout Bureau. Archived from the original on 2008-07-06. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- after Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, the 1st Baron Baden-Powell of Gilwell and Arthur Herbert Tennyson Somers-Cocks, the 6th Baron Somers of Evesham.