100 Greatest NHL Players
In 2017, the National Hockey League commemorated its 100th anniversary with a list of the 100 Greatest NHL Players. The list was created by 58 people, including media members, NHL alumni and NHL executives.
The first 33, representing players who played prior to 1966, were unveiled during a pre-game ceremony at the NHL Centennial Classic outdoor game on January 1, 2017. The remaining players were announced on January 27, 2017, at a special NHL 100 Gala ceremony held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, two days before the 2017 NHL All-Star Game.
The inclusion of Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane was considered controversial. Evgeni Malkin, Ed Belfour, Dale Hawerchuk, Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla, Zdeno Chara, Pierre Pilote and Michel Goulet were considered to be notable players omitted from the list.
- "100 Greatest NHL Players". NHL.com. January 27, 2017. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "League starts reveal of 100 Greatest NHL Players". NHL.com. January 1, 2017. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Greg Wyshynski, NHL reveals top 100 players of all-time, with some surprises, Yahoo! Sports
- "Jon Hamm to Host NHL Gala Honoring Top 100 Players in League History (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- Colin Fleming, Five In, Five Out: Who should have made the NHL's top-100 list?, Sports Illustrated
- Dave Lozo, EVGENI MALKIN'S TOP 100 SNUB IS A DAMN TRAVESTY Archived 2017-04-26 at the Wayback Machine, Vice Sports
- Greg Wyshynski, Who were biggest snubs of 100 Greatest NHL Players list?, Yahoo! Sports
- Helene Elliott and Curtis Zupke, NHL honors 100 greatest players ahead of All-Star game, Los Angeles Times