Štrukljeva Vas (pronounced [ˈʃtɾuːkljɛʋa ˈʋaːs]; Slovene: Štrukljeva vas, German: Strukeldorf) is a small village east of Begunje in the Municipality of Cerknica in the Inner Carniola region of Slovenia.
Location in Slovenia
|Coordinates: 45°49′48.58″N 14°28′16.89″E|
|Traditional region||Inner Carniola|
|Statistical region||Littoral–Inner Carniola|
|• Total||1.1 km2 (0.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||685 m (2,247 ft)|
The name Štrukljeva Vas literally means 'Štrukelj's village' (Štrukelj is a surname in the area). The possessive form of the village's name indicates that it is located in an area that was cleared and settled relatively late.
The local church is a chapel of ease dedicated to Saint James and belongs to the Parish of Sveti Vid. The church has a gilded altar from the second half of the 17th century with some late Baroque additions. The altar was renovated in 1928 by the wood-carver Franc Bečaj from Cerknica. The bell tower is several centuries old and appears to have been built as a separate structure. It contains a copper bell dating to 1445. Oral tradition relates that the villagers received the bell from Trsat in exchange for rights to a fair that was held below Kapelšče Hill (770 m) north of the village.
Notable people that were born or lived in Štrukljeva Vas include:
- Ivo Lah (1896–1979), statistician
- Ivan Štrukelj (1880–1952), teacher
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Leksikon občin kraljestev in dežel zastopanih v državnem zboru, vol. 6: Kranjsko. 1906. Vienna: C. Kr. Dvorna in Državna Tiskarna, p. 122.
- Cerknica municipal site
- "Kako pogosta sta vaše ime in vaš priimek?". www.stat.si. Statistični urad Republike Slovenije. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- Melik, Anton (1959). Slovenija: geografski opis, vol. 2, part 3. Ljubljana: Slovenska matica. p. 521. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- Družina RC Church in Slovenia Journal website
- Savnik, Roman, ed. 1968. Krajevni leksikon Slovenije, vol. 1. Ljubljana: Državna založba Slovenije, pp. 56–57.