École nationale des travaux publics de l'État
The École Nationale des Travaux Publics de l'État (ENTPE), National School of Public Works of the State, is an engineering school part of the French Grandes Écoles under the supervision of the Ministry of Ecology, Energy, Sustainable Development and Sea, and part of the University of Lyon network. It is located since 1970 in Vaulx-en-Velin, in the suburbs of Lyon, facing the École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture de Lyon, the school of architecture of Lyon.
|Motto||"L'Ecole des choix"|
|Type||Établissement public à caractère scientifique, culturel et professionnel|
Founded in 1954 in Paris (boulevard Saint-Germain, in the actual buildings of the ESTP), the ENTPE moved in 1970 in the Lyon area, where it settled in Vaulx-en-Velin, in a building built by the architect Jacques Perrin-Fayolle. It shares its campus with the École nationale supérieure d'architecture de Lyon, the School of Architecture of Lyon. The main vocation of the ENTPE is to train the civil engineers who will be the main managers of the Ministry, even though nowadays more and more of its students work for private companies.
The school has long been a full part of the Ministry of Infrastructure but is now administratively speaking a national public establishment of an administrative character, outside university perimeter.
Students can be civil servants or not:
- The civil servants engineering students are paid starting on their first year of school but then sign an engagement to work for the French State for 8 years starting at the end of their scholarship. The netto salary of one of these is around €1200 for the students accepted through the external exam.
- The non-civil servants engineering students are simply called "civilians". They don't get paid during school and work mainly for the private sector after, but sometimes can integrate para-public companies or pass the Territorial Engineer exam to work for non-etatic entities. This "civilian" profile was created in 1987 but will probably grow stronger with time, due to the actual state policies.
Admission to the ENTPE is made through a very selective entrance examination, and requires a minimum of two years of preparation after high school in classes préparatoires.
Also exists an exam exclusively made for civil servants having served a minimum of four years as higher technicians. Each year, 10 to 15 civil servants are chosen that way
Recruitment after another degree
A direct admission in second year (Master I equivalent) is possible, for French students or students with citizenship from the European union. It is necessary to already withhold a Master I diploma cum laude in Civil Engineering, Mathematics, Mechanics or Physics.
Foreign students (outside EU) have access through the "classical" external way (they can't be French civil servant though) or can access with special conditions through agreements with foreign schools.
The ENTPE trains engineers in 3 years in all the fields of civil engineering, town and country planning and sustainable development. The teaching is the same, regardless of the admission way.
The training goes the following way :
- First year :
- Common courses
- Worksman internship of 4 weeks
- Second year :
- Common courses
- Choice of a specialization among the 6 fields the School has to offer :
- 5 months internship as an engineer assistant
- Third year :
- Fewer common courses
- Almost full-time courses for the chosen specialization
- Masters thesis or internship as engineer for a duration of 6 months
The ENTPE also proposes a large panel of complementary courses, mainly enabling students to obtain a second degree. It is for instance possible for students to obtain degrees from the following schools:
- "Double" curriculum as engineer & architect with an architecture degree from the École nationale supérieure d'architecture de Lyon, common course with students from the INSA de Lyon and the école Centrale de Lyon)
- "Double" curriculum as engineer & geologist with an engineering diploma in geology from the École nationale supérieure de géologie of Nancy
The ENTPE is also entitled to deliver PhDs inside one of the 6 laboratories it shelters. Up to 20 PhDs are delivered each year.
The School is member of the following:
The School also enables students to attend classes and obtain degrees from foreign universities, through many partnerships:
- New York University – United States (Master of Science – 9 months)
- University College Cork – Ireland (Master of Engineering – Environment – 18 months)
- University of Westminster in London – UK (Master of Science – 12 months)
- University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) in Manchester – UK (Master of Science – 12 months)
- Université de Sherbrooke – Canada (Maîtrise – 18 months)
- Université Laval de Québec – Canada (Maîtrise – 18 months)
- École Hassania des Travaux Publics (EHTP) – Royaume du Maroc
- Université autonome de Madrid – Espagne
- Institut universitaire d'architecture de Venise – Italy
- University of California Berkeley – United States (Master of Science and Mechanical Engineering)
Along with teaching, the ENTPE also deploys a strong activity in research. There are actually 6 different laboratories in the school, each one specialized in one the fields of study evoked before. Its staff sums up to over 200 persons. 4 of its 6 laboratories are part of the CNRS.
As its name goes, the School trains in the fields of civil engineering ("Travaux Publics"), but also those mentioned before: Building, City Planning, Environment, Transportation, and to sum it up, all the fields of engineering linked to sustainable development.
Non-civil servant students ("civilians")
There are different possibilities:
- They can keep on obtaining a PhD either among one of the laboratories of the School, or among one of the research labs of the Ministry.
- They can choose to obtain another degree, through a "fourth year", which will either be another Master II equivalent, or a Mastère Spécialisé.
- Those attending a double diploma as engineer & architect have to attend architecture school for another 2 years minimum
- The school also offers the possibility for a VIE.
- Finally, most students enter the Ministry, as technical management staff.
- Still, it is possible for civil servants to go work for a private company, but then they will have to break the contract they have signed with the State, and therefore will have to refund all the money involved by the State in their scholarship (pays and tuitions fees), which sums up to around €75000. These amounts are usually paid by the private company.
Life on Campus
It was established in Vaulx-en-Velin on a common campus with the school of architecture of Lyon. Numerous sports infrastructures exist, among which can be mentioned a 25 meters and 4 meters deep swimming pool, a dojo, a fitness room, 4 tennis courts. There is naturally also a cafeteria, a students' bar (Grimbergen, 1664) with its patio, a music room.
Thanks to an agreement with the local HLM office, students are housed in cheap and comfortable apartments near the school.
Like many other schools, the ENTPE focuses a lot on community life through different sport activities:
- indoor sports: volley, basketball, indoor-football, badminton, etc.
- outdoor sports : football, rugby, sailing, rowing, golf, etc.
- water sports : diving, water polo, etc.
- mountain sports : hiking, skiing, etc.
- dance, fitness.
But also on less physical activities:
- Annual School Gala preparation
- The Rencontre Théatrales de Lyon (Reuteuleu), an international festival of student theater
- Cheese sampling