École Antoine de Saint-Exupéry de Kigali
The École Antoine de Saint-Exupéry de Kigali (EFASE), also known as the Kigali French School, is a school in Downtown Kigali, Rwanda. The school, with a capacity of 400 students, serves nursery (maternelle) to upper secondary (lycée) levels.
The school was created in 1973. The school was closed from 1994 to 1998 due to deteriorated relations between the Governments of France and Rwanda following the Rwandan Genocide.
In 2006, after France and Rwanda severed diplomatic relations, the Rwandan authorities forced the school to close. They gave a 72-hour deadline for the school to end operations. The school closed on Monday 27 November 2006. In 2009 France and Rwanda restored diplomatic relations. In September 2010 the school reopened with 200 students. Jean Nepomuscene Rushayigi, the headmaster, said that at the time 80% of the students were Rwandan nationals.
The school uses a French curriculum, which is also recognized by the Rwandan government. English classes are a requirement for students, and the school teaches in both languages. The school year begins in September and ends in July. Students travel to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Nairobi, Kenya to take A-level examinations.
- Goujon, Emmanuel. "Rwanda rids country of French interests." (Alternate) Mail & Guardian. 27 November 2006. Retrieved on 2 March 2013.
- Kwizera, Charles. "France school reopens in Rwanda" (Archive). The New Times at BBC Monitoring International Reports. 23 September 2010. Retrieved on 2 March 2013. Available at: Access My Library, Available at AllAfrica.
- "Informations aux parents." École Antoine de Saint-Exupéry de Kigali. Retrieved on 10 May 2015.
- "Histoire de L’Efase" (Archive). École Antoine de Saint-Exupéry de Kigali. Retrieved on May 10, 2015.
- "French school reopens in Kigali." Rwanda Bureau of Information and Broadcasting (ORINFOR). 21 September 2010. Retrieved on 2 March 2013.
- "Rwanda: l'école française rouvre " (Archive). Agence France Presse at Le Figaro. Wednesday 22 September 2010. Retrieved on May 11, 2015. Alternate location (Archive) at Rwanda News Agency (Agence Rwandaise d'Information). "Selon lui, le cursus de l'école, où l'apprentissage de l'anglais est obligatoire, est reconnu par le ministère rwandais de l'éducation, même si "le programme pédagogique ainsi que les examens viennent de France"." - Abbreviated version at: "Rwanda: l'école française rouvre après 4 ans de fermeture." (Archive) 20 Minutes. 22 September 2010.
- "Nos installations." École Antoine de Saint-Exupéry de Kigali. Retrieved on 10 May 2015.
- Wilson, Twagira. "RFI igiye kongera Kuvugira mu Rwanda." ORINFOR.
- École Antoine de Saint-Exupéry de Kigali (in French)