Äänekoski (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈæːnekˌkoski]) is a town in Finland.
Äänekoski town hall and library
Coat of arms
Location of Äänekoski in Finland
|Coordinates: 62°36′N 025°43.5′E|
|• Town manager||Matti Tuononen|
|• Total||1,138.39 km2 (439.53 sq mi)|
|• Land||884.54 km2 (341.52 sq mi)|
|• Water||253.84 km2 (98.01 sq mi)|
|Area rank||87th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||56th largest in Finland|
|• Density||21.33/km2 (55.2/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.7% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.4%|
|• 15 to 64||64%|
|• 65 or older||18.7%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
It is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Central Finland region. The town has a population of 18,871 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,138.39 square kilometres (439.53 sq mi) of which 253.84 km2 (98.01 sq mi) is water. The population density is 21.33 inhabitants per square kilometre (55.2/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The municipality of Äänekosken maalaiskunta was consolidated to Äänekoski in 1969 and the municipality of Konginkangas in 1993. The municipalities of Sumiainen and Suolahti were consolidated to Äänekoski in 2007.
Twin towns – sister cities
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Population by municipality as of 31 December 2006". Population Information System (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Äänekoski". Järviwiki. Finland's Environmental Administration. 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- "Äänekosken kaupungin ystävyyskuntatoiminnan edistäminen" (in Norwegian). City of Äänekoski. Archived from the original on 19 July 2012. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Äänekoski.|
- Town of Äänekoski – Official website, finnish