Coat of arms
Location of Ylämaa in Finland
|Coordinates: 60°48′N 028°00.5′E|
|• Municipal manager||Esko Hämäläinen|
|• Total||408.94 km2 (157.89 sq mi)|
|• Land||379.75 km2 (146.62 sq mi)|
|• Water||29.19 km2 (11.27 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
It is located in the province of Southern Finland and was part of the South Karelia region. The municipality had a population of 1,408 (31 December 2009) and covers an area of 408.94 square kilometres (157.89 sq mi) of which 29.19 km2 (11.27 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.71 inhabitants per square kilometre (9.6/sq mi). The municipality was unilingually Finnish. There is a strong concentration of the gemstone spectrolite in the region of Ylämaa. Plans to build a pyramid in Ylämaa have existed since 1998, but as of 2010 the project has been on hold due to the high cost.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2009" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-02-25. Retrieved 20 February 2009.
- "Population by municipality as of 31 December 2009". Population Information System (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Archived from the original on 2010-12-02. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "Ylämaalle rakennetaan maailman pohjoisin pyramidi" [The world's northernmost pyramid to be built in Ylämaa] (in Finnish). Taloussanomat. 20 October 1998. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Laitila Arkkitehdit
- "Ylämaan pyramidi maksaa miljoonia" [Ylämaa pyramid costs millions] (in Finnish). Yle. 11 March 2010. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Municipality of Ylämaa – Official website