Xiaowei Zhuang (simplified Chinese: 庄小威; traditional Chinese: 莊小威; pinyin: Zhuāng Xiǎowēi; born January 1972) is a Chinese-American biophysicist, and the David B. Arnold Jr. Professor of Science, Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology and Professor of Physics at Harvard University, and an Investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. She is best known for her work in the development of Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM) , a super-resolution fluorescence microscopy method, and the discoveries of novel cellular structures using STORM. She received a 2019 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences for developing super-resolution imaging techniques that get past the diffraction limits of traditional light microscopes, allowing scientists to visualize small structures within living cells. She was elected a Member of the American Philosophical Society in 2019.
|Education||Suzhou High School|
University of Science and Technology of China
University of California, Berkeley
|Known for||Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM)|
|Awards||MacArthur Fellows Program, ACS Award in Pure Chemistry, Max Delbruck Prize, Sackler Prize, NAS Award in Molecular Biology, Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences|
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Early life and education
Zhuang's father Zhuang Lixian (庄礼贤) and mother Zhu Renzhi (朱仁芝) are both professors of University of Science and Technology of China (USTC).
Zhuang graduated from the USTC with a B.S. in Physics in 1991. She obtained her Ph.D. in Physics from the University of California, Berkeley in 1996 and conducted her thesis research under the supervision of Dr. Yuen-Ron Shen. In 1997-2001, she was a Chodorow Postdoctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Steven Chu at Stanford University. She started her faculty position in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology and Department of Physics at Harvard University in 2001 and was promoted to full professor in 2006.
She was named a Howard Hughes Medical Investigator in 2005.
Zhuang's laboratory invented Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM), a single-molecule-based super-resolution fluorescence microscopy method. The Zhuang laboratory demonstrated three-dimensional super-resolution imaging with STORM. The Zhuang laboratory also discovered several photoswitchable dye molecules that enabled STORM imaging and demonstrated live-cell STORM imaging.
Using STORM, Zhuang and colleagues have studied a variety of biological systems, ranging from single-cell organisms to complex brain tissues. These studies led to the discovery of novel cellular structures, such as the periodic membrane skeletons in the axons of neurons and provided insights into many other cellular structures.
The Zhuang laboratory invented a single-cell transcriptome imaging method, MERFISH (multiplexed error-robust fluorescence in situ hybridization), which allows numerous RNA species to be imaged and quantified in single cells in their native context. Zhuang and colleagues used single-molecule FRET to study biomolecules and molecular complexes and developed single-virus tracking methods to study virus-cell interactions.
Honors and awards
- 2019: Pearl Meister Greengard Prize
- 2019: NAS Award for Scientific Discovery
- 2019: Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences
- 2018: Dr. H.P. Heineken Prize for Biochemistry and Biophysics, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2018: Pittsburgh Analytical Chemistry Award
- 2017: Honorary doctorate, Delft University of Technology
- 2017: Lennart Nilsson Award, Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- 2016: Doctor of Philosophy Honoris Causa, Stockholm University
- 2015: Foreign academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- 2015: NAS Award in Molecular Biology
- 2013: Member American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2012: Member National Academy of Sciences
- 2012: Fellow American Physical Society
- 2012: Fellow American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2011: Sackler Prize
- 2010: Max Delbruck Prize
- 2008: Coblentz Award
- 2007: ACS Award in Pure Chemistry
- 2004: Sloan Fellowship
- 2003: Packard Fellowship
- 2003: MacArthur Fellows Program
- 2003: Beckman Young Investigators Award
- "Zhuang Lab Webpage". zhuang.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Harvard Chemistry and Chemical Biology Faculty: Xiaowei Zhuang". Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Harvard Physics Faculty: Xiaowei Zhuang". Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "HHMI Scientist Bio: Xiaowei Zhuang, Ph.D". Hhmi.org. Retrieved 2012-06-29.
- "Sub-diffraction-limit imaging by stochastic optical reconstruction microscopy (STORM)". Nature Methods. 3: 793–796. doi:10.1038/nmeth929. PMC 2700296.
- "Multicolor Super-Resolution Imaging with Photo-Switchable Fluorescent Probes". Science. 317: 1749–1753. Bibcode:2007Sci...317.1749B. doi:10.1126/science.1146598. PMC 2633025.
- "Three-Dimensional Super-Resolution Imaging by Stochastic Optical Reconstruction Microscopy". Science. 319: 810–813. Bibcode:2008Sci...319..810H. doi:10.1126/science.1153529. PMC 2633023.
- "Breakthrough Prize – Winners of the 2019 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences, Fundamental Physics and Mathematics Announced". breakthroughprize.org. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Harvard's Xiaowei Zhuang awarded 2018 Breakthrough Prize". Harvard Gazette. 2018-10-17. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Short-Range Spectroscopic Ruler Based on a Single-Molecule Optical Switch". Physical Review Letters. 94. arXiv:q-bio/0502012. Bibcode:2005PhRvL..94j8101B. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.94.108101.
- "Super-resolution fluorescence imaging of organelles in live cells with photoswitchable membrane probes". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 109: 13978–13983. Bibcode:2012PNAS..10913978S. doi:10.1073/pnas.1201882109. PMC 3435176.
- "Fast, three-dimensional super-resolution imaging of live cells". Nature Methods. 8: 499–505. doi:10.1038/nmeth.1605. PMC 3137767.
- "Actin, Spectrin, and Associated Proteins Form a Periodic Cytoskeletal Structure in Axons". Science. 339: 452–456. Bibcode:2013Sci...339..452X. doi:10.1126/science.1232251. PMC 3815867.
- "Developmental mechanism of the periodic membrane skeleton in axons". eLife. 3. doi:10.7554/eLife.04581. PMC 4337613.
- "Superresolution Imaging of Chemical Synapses in the Brain". Neuron. 68: 843–856. doi:10.1016/j.neuron.2010.11.021.
- "Y. Doksani, J. Wu, T. de Lange, X. Zhuang, "Super-resolution fluorescence imaging reveals TRF2-dependent t-loop formation", Cell 155, 345-356 (2013)". Cell. 155: 345–356. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2013.09.048.
- "Structurally Distinct Ca2+ Signaling Domains of Sperm Flagella Orchestrate Tyrosine Phosphorylation and Motility". Cell. 157: 808–822. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2014.02.056.
- "Spatially resolved, highly multiplexed RNA profiling in single cells". Science. 348: aaa6090. doi:10.1126/science.aaa6090.
- "A Single-Molecule Study of RNA Catalysis and Folding". Science. 288: 2048–2051. Bibcode:2000Sci...288.2048Z. doi:10.1126/science.288.5473.2048.
- "Stepwise protein-mediated RNA folding directs assembly of telomerase ribonucleoprotein". Nature. 446: 458–461. Bibcode:2007Natur.446..458S. doi:10.1038/nature05600. PMC 2720403.
- "Dynamic binding orientations direct activity of HIV reverse transcriptase". Nature. 453: 184–189. Bibcode:2008Natur.453..184A. doi:10.1038/nature06941. PMC 2655135.
- "T. Blosser, J. Yang, M. Stone, G. Narlikar, X. Zhuang, "Dynamics of Nucleosome Remodeling by Individual ACF Complexes", Nature 462, 1022-1027 (2009)". Nature. 462: 1022–1027. Bibcode:2009Natur.462.1022B. doi:10.1038/nature08627. PMC 2835771.
- "Histone H4 tail mediates allosteric regulation of nucleosome remodelling by linker DNA". Nature. 512: 213–217. Bibcode:2014Natur.512..213H. doi:10.1038/nature13380. PMC 4134374.
- "Visualizing infection of individual influenza viruses". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 100: 9280–9285. Bibcode:2003PNAS..100.9280L. doi:10.1073/pnas.0832269100.
- "Assembly of endocytic machinery around individual influenza viruses during viral entry". Nature Structural & Molecular Biology. 11: 567–573. doi:10.1038/nsmb769. PMC 2748740.
- "Virus trafficking – learning from single-virus tracking". Nature Reviews Microbiology. 5: 197–208. doi:10.1038/nrmicro1615. PMC 2740720.
- "PEARL MEISTER GREENGARD PRIZE". Rockefeller University. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "Xiaowei Zhuang". www.nasonline.org.
- http://www.cas.cn/tz/201512/t20151207_4488383.shtml 关于公布2015年中国科学院院士增选当选院士名单的公告
- "Zhuang, Xiaowei". Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. Retrieved 17 October 2014.