Warsaw Governorate

Warsaw Governorate (Polish: Gubernia warszawska; Russian: Варшавская губерния) was an administrative unit (governorate) of the Congress Poland.

It was created in 1844 from the Masovia and Kalisz Governorates, and had the capital in Warsaw. In 1867 territories of the Warsaw Governorate were divided into three smaller governorates: a smaller Warsaw Governorate, Piotrków Governorate and the recreated Kalisz Governorate.

A small reform in 1893 increased the Warsaw Governorate's size with territories split from Płock and Łomża governorates.

Language

  • By the Imperial census of 1897.[1] In bold are languages spoken by more people than the state language.
Language Number percentage (%) males females
Polish 1 420 436 73.52 687 210 733 226
Yiddish 317 169 16.41 154 603 162 566
Russian 87 850 4.54 13 551 1 586
German 77 160 3.99 37 984 39 176
Ukrainian 15 930 0.82 15 623 307
Romanian 2 299 >0.01 2 293 6
Latvian 1 759 >0.01 1 738 21
Estonian 1 566 >0.01 1 555 11
Tatar 1 473 >0.01 1 437 36
Belarusian 1 343 >0.01 1 234 109
Other[2] 4 824 0.24 3 289 1 535
Persons
that didn't name
their native language
54 >0.01 33 21
Total 1 931 867 100 977 948 953 919

Governors

  • Evgeni Rozhnov (1863-24.10.1866)
  • Baron Nikolai Medem (24.10.1866—01.01.1892)
  • Yuliy Andreev (16.01.1892—27.02.1897)
  • Dmitri Martynov (03.03.1897—20.01.1907)
  • Baron Semyon Korf (20.01.1907—1914)
  • Piotr Stremoukhov (1914—1916)

References and notes

  1. Language Statistics of 1897 (in Russian)
  2. Languages, number of speakers which in all gubernia were less than 1000

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.