A trade fair (trade show, trade exhibition, or expo) is an exhibition organized so that companies in a specific industry can showcase and demonstrate their latest products and services, meet with industry partners and customers, study activities of rivals, and examine recent market trends and opportunities. In contrast to consumer fairs, only some trade fairs are open to the public, while others can only be attended by company representatives (members of the trade, e.g. professionals) and members of the press, therefore trade shows are classified as either "public" or "trade only". A few fairs are hybrids of the two; one example is the Frankfurt Book Fair, which is trade only for its first three days and open to the general public on its final two days. They are held on a continuing basis in virtually all markets and normally attract companies from around the globe. For example, in the U.S., there are currently over 10,000 trade shows held every year, and several online directories have been established to help organizers, attendees, and marketers identify appropriate events.
Modern trade fairs follow in the tradition of trade fairs established in late medieval Europe, in the era of merchant capitalism. In this era, produce and craft producers visited towns for trading fairs, to sell and showcase products. From the late eighteenth century, industrial exhibitions in Europe and North America became more common reflecting the technological dynamism of the Industrial Revolution.
In the late 19th century, the concept of annual industry-wide trade shows gained traction, spreading from European manufacturing centers to North America. By the 20th century, specialized companies came into existence simply to manage the trade-show industry, and permanent trade show grounds or convention centers were established as venues that featured a rotating calendar of trade shows.
In the 21st century, with the rapid industrialization of Asia, trade shows and exhibitions are now commonplace throughout the Asian continent, with China dominating the exhibitions industry in Asia, accounting for more than 55 per cent of all space sold in the region in 2011.
Trade fairs play important roles in marketing as well as business networking in market sectors that use them. People will seek to meet people and companies at their own level in the supply chain, as well as potential suppliers and potential buyers.
Generally there will be a central trade show floor with booths where people exhibit their goods or services, and throughout the day there will be seminars for continuing education on matters relevant to the industry, like best practices, trends, and regulation. There will also be some shared meals with keynote speakers, and social events in the evenings. Booths range from simple tables to elaborate constructions.
Trade fairs often involve a considerable investment in time and money by participating companies. The planning includes arranging meetings with other attendees beforehand and resources to follow up on opportunities that are created at the fair. Costs include space rental, booth design and construction of trade show displays, telecommunications, travel, accommodations, and promotional literature and items to give to attendees.
In addition, costs are incurred at the show for services such as electrical, booth cleaning, internet services, and drayage (also known as material handling). This local spending on logistics leads cities to promote trade shows as a means of local economic development, as well as providing opportunities for local businesses to grow, and attract new businesses to come.
|#||Ground||City||Indoor floor area||Outdoor floor area|
|1||Hannover Messe||Hannover||496,000 m2 (5,340,000 sq ft)||58,070 m2 (625,100 sq ft)|
|2||World Market Center Las Vegas||Las Vegas||460,000 m2 (5,000,000 sq ft)|
|3||Messe Frankfurt||Frankfurt||366,600 m2 (3,946,000 sq ft)||96,000 m2 (1,030,000 sq ft)|
|4||Fira de Barcelona||Barcelona||365,000 m2 (3,930,000 sq ft)||50,000 m2 (540,000 sq ft)|
|5||Fiera Milano||Milan||345,000 m2 (3,710,000 sq ft)||60,000 m2 (650,000 sq ft)|
|6||Las Vegas Convention Center||Winchester, Nevada (Las Vegas)||297,000 m2 (3,200,000 sq ft)|
|7||Koelnmesse||Cologne||284,000 m2 (3,060,000 sq ft)||100,000 m2 (1,100,000 sq ft)|
|8||Messe Düsseldorf||Düsseldorf||262,740 m2 (2,828,100 sq ft)||43,000 m2 (460,000 sq ft)|
|9||McCormick Place||Chicago||248,000 m2 (2,670,000 sq ft)|
|10||Paris expo Porte de Versailles||Paris||227,000 m2 (2,440,000 sq ft)|
|11||Feria de Madrid IFEMA||Madrid||200,000 m2 (2,200,000 sq ft)|
|12||Messe München||Munich||180,000 m2 (1,900,000 sq ft)||425,000 m2 (4,570,000 sq ft)|
|13||Messe Berlin||Berlin||160,000 m2 (1,700,000 sq ft)||390,000 m2 (4,200,000 sq ft)|
|14||ICE||BSD City, Indonesia||50,000 m2 (540,000 sq ft)||220,000 m2 (2,400,000 sq ft)|
List of major trade fairs
|AgQuip||Agriculture||August 22–24, 2017||Gunnedah, New South Wales, Australia||100,000 approximately in 2005|
|AGRO||Agriculture||June 7–10, 2017||Kiev, Ukraine||121,220 in 2012|
|ANUGA||Food and beverage||October 7–11, 2017||Cologne Trade Fair, Germany||165,000 approximately in 2017|
|Arab Health||Healthcare||January 30, 2017 - February 3, 2017||Dubai International Convention & Exhibition Centre, United Arab Emirates||102 666 in 2017|
|Automechanika||Automotive aftermarket||September 13–17, 2016||Frankfurt Trade Fair, Germany||136,000|
|BAUMA||Construction||April 11–17, 2016||Munich, Germany||583,000 approximately in 2016|
|Beef Australia||Beef||May (triennially)||Rockhampton, Australia||90,000 in 2015|
|Berlin Music Week||Music||September 3–7, 2014||Berlin||70,000 in 2012|
|Bologna Motor Show||Auto show||December 3–11, 2016||Bologna, Italy||450,000 in 2013|
|boot Düsseldorf||Boats||January 21–29, 2017||Messe Düsseldorf, Germany||267,379 in 2008|
|Buenos Aires International Book Fair||Books||April 27-May 15, 2017||Buenos Aires, Argentina||1,240,000 in 2008|
|Cairo International Book Fair||Books||January 27, 2017 - February 10, 2017||Cairo, Egypt||2,000,000 in 2007|
|Kolkata International Book Fair||Books||Late January - Early February||Kolkata, India||2,000,000 in 2012 - largest book fair in the world|
|Canton Fair||Consumer and Industry Products||Spring session: April 15–19 (Phase 1); April 23–27 (Phase 2); May 1–5 (Phase 3). (111th Session)
Autumn session: October 15–19 (Phase 1); October 23–27 (Phase 2); October 31- November 4 (Phase 3).
|Guangzhou, China||192,013 in Spring Session 2008|
|CeBIT||Information and communication technology||March 20–24, 2017||Hanover, Germany||480,000 in 2007|
|Comic Market||Comics||August 11–13, 2017||Tokyo, Japan||550,000 in Summer Session 2008|
|COMPUTEX Taipei||Computer show||May 30, 2017 – June 3, 2017||Taipei, Taiwan||106,517 in 2008|
|CONEXPO-CON/AGG||Construction||March 7–11, 2017||Las Vegas Convention Center, Nevada, United States||145,000 approximately in 2008|
|Drupa||Printing Equipment||May 31-June 10, 2016||Messe Düsseldorf, Germany||393,654 in 2004 from 127 countries|
|E3, Electronic Entertainment Expo||Video games||June 13–15, 2017||Los Angeles, California, United States||68,400 (2017)|
|EICMA||Motorcycles||November 10–13, 2016||Fiera Milano, Italy||504,999 in 2008|
|Euroflora||Flower show||April/May once time every 5 years||Genoa, Italy||730,000 in 1986|
|EuroShop||Retailing||March 5–09, 2017||Messe Düsseldorf, Germany||104,766 in 2008|
|Farnborough Air Show||Aerospace||16–22 July 2018||Farnborough Airport, Hampshire, UK||209,000 (2012)|
|Fieracavalli||Horse show||November 10–13, 2016||Verona, Italy||125,975 in 2008|
|Fiera internazionale del libro||Books||May 18–22, 2017||Turin, Italy||300,000 in 2007|
|Frankfurt Book Fair||Books||October 11–15, 2017||Frankfurt Trade Fair, Germany||280,194 in 2011|
|Games Convention||Video games||ended 2008||Leipzig, Germany||203,000 in 2008|
|Gamescom||Video games||August 21–25, 2018||Cologne Trade Fair, Germany||350,000 in 2017|
|Genoa International Boat Show||Boats||September 21–26, 2017||Genoa, Italy||236,322 in 2008|
|GITEX||Consumer electronics||March 29, 2007 – April 1, 2017||Dubai, United Arab Emirates||146,000 in 2016|
|Hannover Messe||Industry, Technology||April 24–28, 2017||Hanover, Germany||193,222 in 2008|
|High Point Market||Furniture||April and October||High Point, North Carolina United States||70,000-80,000|
|IFA, Consumer Electronics Unlimited||Consumer electronics and home appliances||September 1–6, 2017||Berlin, Germany||240,000 in 2016|
|imm Cologne||Furniture||January 15–21, 2018||Cologne Trade Fair, Germany||106,677 in 2008|
|InnoTrans||Rail Transport Technology||September 22–25, 2020||Messe Berlin, Germany||106,612 in 2010|
|Intermot||Motorcycles||October 3–7, 2018||Cologne Trade Fair, Germany||203,000 in 2012|
|International CES||Consumer electronics||January 9–12, 2018||Las Vegas Convention Center, Nevada, United States||177,000+ in 2016|
|Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung||Cars||September 14–29, 2017||Frankfurt Trade Fair, Germany||931,700 in 2015|
|IGW Berlin||Sustainable agriculture||January 20–29, 2017||Messe Berlin, Germany||424,502 in 2008|
|ITB Berlin||tourism||March 10–12, 2017||Messe Berlin, Germany||149,776 in 2008|
|International Technical Fair||machine engineering, automobiles, transport, information technologies, software, electronics, electrical engineering, construction, chemistry, power engineering, ecology||September 25–30, 2017||Plovdiv, Bulgaria||141,000 in 2006|
|Jakarta Fair||Retail (Cars and motorcycles, electronics, sports equipment, fashion accessories and garments, to household utilities, furniture, food, handcrafts, herbs and medicine, cosmetics, banking services and many others)||May 22–30, 2019||Jakarta, Indonesia|
|K||Plastics||Oct 19–26, 2016||Messe Düsseldorf, Germany||222,486 in 2010|
|Light + Building||Architectural lighting design||March 18–23, 2018||Frankfurt Trade Fair, Germany||167,084 in 2008|
|Mass-Trans Innovation Japan||Rail Transport Technology||November 27–29, 2019||Makuhari Messe, Tokyo, Japan|
|MEDICA||Medical technology||November 13–16, 2017||Messe Düsseldorf, Germany||136,871 in 2008|
|Mobile World Congress||mobile telephony, Communications||February 25, 2019 – February 28, 2019||Barcelona, Spain||107,000 in 2018|
|SIAL Paris||Food industry||October 18, 2020 - October 22, 2020||Paris, France||150,258 in 2010|
|Mondial de l'Automobile||Auto show||September 29, 2016 – October 16, 2016||Paris, France||1,400,000 in 2006|
|NAB Show||Broadcasting||April 22–27, 2017||Las Vegas Convention Center, Nevada, United States||93,000+ in 2013|
|NAMM||Music||January 25–28, 2017||Anaheim, California, United States||85,000|
|NAIAS||Cars||January 14–21, 2018||Detroit, Michigan, United States||800,000 in 2018|
|National Agricultural Fieldays||Agriculture||4 days in mid June||Hamilton, New Zealand||125,878 in 2007|
|Novi Sad Fair||Agriculture||Middle of May||Novi Sad, Serbia||600,000|
|Nuremberg International Toy Fair||Toys, Games||February 1–6, 2017||Nuremberg, Germany||80,000 in 2011|
|Paris International Agricultural Show||Agricultural show||February 25, 2017 - March 5, 2017||Paris, France||619,000 in 2017|
|Paris Air Show - SIAE||Aerospace||June 19–25, 2017||Paris, France||322,000 in 2017|
|photokina||Photography||May 27–30, 2020||Cologne Trade Fair, Germany||180,000 in 2018|
|Salone del Mobile (International Furniture Fair)||Furniture||March 2007||FieraMilano, Italy||270,000 in 2007|
|SEMA Show||Automobile aftermarket||First week of November||Las Vegas, Nevada United States||125,000 in 2014|
|SHOT Show||Firearms||January 22–25, 2019||Sands Expo, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||60,000+ in 2018|
|SIMA||Real estate||May 25–28, 2017||Madrid, Spain||122,760 in 2008|
|SIMO TCI||Consumer electronics||October 18–20, 2017||Madrid, Spain||300,000 approximately|
|Sydney Royal Easter Show||Agriculture||14 days over Easter||Sydney, Australia||900,000 in 2007|
|Tehran International Book Fair||Books||May 3–13, 2017||Tehran, Iran||2,000,000 approximately in 2010|
|The Big 5||Construction||November 26–29, 2017 (annual)||Dubai, UAE||78,579 participants in 2016|
|Thessaloniki International Fair||General||Annually||Thessaloniki, Greece||250,000 in 2011|
|Tokyo Motor Show||Auto shows||October 27, 2017 - November 5, 2017||Tokyo, Japan||1,512,100 in 2005|
|Tokyo Game Show||Video games||September 21–24, 2017||Tokyo, Japan||271,224 in 2016|
|Trade Expo Indonesia||Export||October 24–28, 2018||BSD City, Indonesia||28,000|
|World Dairy Expo||Dairy Industry||October 3-03, 2017||Alliant Energy Center, 2015 at Madison, Wisconsin, United States||75,000|
- CIC Economic Significance Study Executive Summary p.5 http://www.conventionindustry.org/ResearchInfo/EconomicSignificanceStudy/ESSExecSummary.aspx Archived 2017-04-20 at the Wayback Machine
- "Conventions and exhibitions: Asia-Pacific rising". TTGmice. Archived from the original on 2 March 2014. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- Applegate, Jane (17 September 2001). "How to Work a Trade Show". Entrepreneur.
- Morgan, Brittney (September 15, 2014). "Trade Show Displays: A Buyer's Guide". Business News Daily.
- Training, Employment, Small Business and. "Benefits and risks of trade shows and exhibitions". The State of Queensland: Business Queensland. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- Tabbitt, Sue (5 February 2016). "Making the most of an international trade fair". The Guardian.
- Bathelt, Harald; Golfetto, Francesca; Rinallo, Diego (2014). Trade Shows in the Globalizing Knowledge Economy. OUP Oxford. p. 86ff. ISBN 9780191019036.
- "Participation Information". Farmonline.com.au. Archived from the original on April 9, 2008. Retrieved March 14, 2008.
- "AGRO 2012 - Facts and Figures". agro-expo.com. Archived from the original on November 11, 2012. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- "Final report: Anuga 2017: The clear number one for the global food industry". Koelnmesse (Press release). 13 October 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-10-29.
- /humans.txt. "Arab Health in Dubai - Stats - Address - Fair Point Database". Fair Point GmbH. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "bauma 2016: Record-breaking numbers in 2016". Archived from the original on 2017-03-08. Retrieved 2017-03-07.
- Zonca, Craig Organisers claim big success at Rockhampton beef expo, Queensland Country Hour, ABC Rural, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 8 May 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Berlin Music Week". Berlin Music Week. Archived from the original on 27 April 2014. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "Pop-Kultur". www.berlin.de. 27 December 2017. Archived from the original on 27 March 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- it:Motor Show
- "Euro Fair Statistics 2008" (PDF). UFI, the Global Association of the Exhibition Industry. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- The Fair was a success and they are already working for 2009 Archived 2008-05-15 at the Wayback Machine, Clarin, May 13, 2008
- KOLKATA INTERNATIONAL BOOK FAIR – A MELTING POT Archived 2016-03-13 at the Wayback Machine
- "Trade Show Calendar: Import export trade events in China, Asia, worldwide". www.cantonfair.com. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- CeBIT End of Show Report 2007 Archived 2007-10-12 at the Wayback Machine, CeBIT. Retrieved October 19, 2007.
- コミックマーケット７４アフターレポート (in Japanese). comiket.cp.jp. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Taipei Computer Association: Perfect finale for COMPUTEX Taipei 2008 with exhibition size and number of buyers both achieving new heights". Computex.biz. Archived from the original on 2008-09-17.
- "CONEXPO-CON/AGG". conexpoconagg.com. Archived from the original on March 16, 2008. Retrieved March 20, 2008. Note: figures include attendees for the co-located International Exposition for Power Transmission.
- "General Information - drupa Trade Fair". drupa.de. Archived from the original on 9 October 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "Account Suspended". www.euroflora2011.it. Archived from the original on 20 June 2012. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- Buchmesse, Frankfurter. "Frankfurt Book Fair - Book Fair 2018". www.book-fair.com. Archived from the original on 13 November 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "The new face of the Book Fair" (Press release). Frankfurt Book Fair. Archived from the original on 2012-01-07. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- "Abschlussbericht: Gamesbranche bleibt 2009 in Leipzig". Leipziger-Messe.de. August 24, 2008. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2010.
- "Schlussbericht (Gamescom Cologne - press release 2017) [in German]" (PDF). Koelnmesse. 26 August 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 October 2017. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- "Gitex 2016". Archived from the original on 2017-03-08.
- "International Facility Management Expo 2018 - B-FOR". b-for.com. Archived from the original on 10 June 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- 2010-09-24T08:53:00+01:00. "InnoTrans 2010 expects record visitor numbers". Railway Gazette International. Retrieved 2019-11-30.
- "Final Report INTERMOT 2012" (PDF) (Press release). Cologne Trade Fair. October 7, 2012. Archived (PDF) from the original on June 4, 2013. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "CES!" (Press release). Consumer Electronics Association. January 10, 2016. Archived from the original on January 26, 2017. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- "Wissmann: At 931,700 visitors, this IAA has more than fulfilled our expectations" (Press release). IAA. 2015-09-27. Archived from the original on 2016-01-10. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Despite riots, Jakartans pack 2019 Jakarta Fair opening night". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-01-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- /humans.txt. "Mobile World Congress in Barcelona - Info - And - Stats". ExpoBeds.
- "SIAL Paris in France - Info - And - Stats". Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "Salon de l'auto 2008". www.hd19.net. Archived from the original on 18 June 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "2014 NAB Show Brings Cloud-Based Workflows Center Stage" (Press release). National Association of Broadcasters. March 11, 2014. Retrieved March 12, 2014. See "About NAB Show" near the bottom of the page.
- Exhibitors Archived 2007-12-02 at the Wayback Machine, NAMM website. Retrieved November 27, 2007.
- , Detroit Free Press, "Not a record, but still a strong showing: Detroit auto show attracts more than 800,000." Retrieved March 3, 2018.
- Fieldays 2007 Statistics Archived 2008-01-19 at the Wayback Machine, National Agricultural Fieldays Website. Retrieved March 14, 2008.
- "Report of International Toy Fair 2011: The results" (Press release). Archived from the original on October 25, 2011. Retrieved September 10, 2011.
- "Paris International Agricultural Show 2017: Attendance". Archived from the original on 2017-03-07.
- "photokina 2018: impressive images from Cologne". koelnmesse. 2018-09-29. Retrieved 2018-10-20.
- "Cosmit - Visitatori". cosmit.it. Archived from the original on 6 November 2013. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "Get your Magazine in front of Thousands of Potential Subscribers!". SEMA Show - Las Vegas Convention Center - Nov 1 - Nov 4, 2016. 3 May 2012. Archived from the original on 16 February 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "SHOT Show Celebrates 40th Anniversary". National Shooting Sports Foundation. January 26, 2018. Retrieved October 20, 2018.
- SIMO e-life 2007 aims to become an annual point of reference for the video-games sector throughout Europe SIMO press release, July 25, 2007. Retrieved on October 11, 2007
- About the 2008 Show Archived 2008-05-16 at the Wayback Machine, Sydney Royal Easter Show Website. Retrieved March 14, 2008.
- "The Big 5 Dubai | Construction Exhibition - Construction Event". www.thebig5.ae. Archived from the original on 2017-06-03. Retrieved 2017-07-10.
- "76η Διεθνής Έκθεση Θεσσαλονίκης" [76th Thessaloniki International Fair]. www.helexpo.gr. Archived from the original on 22 January 2012. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "Tokyo Game Show: 2016 Attendance". Archived from the original on 2017-03-08.
- "Trade Expo Indonesia 2018 Dongkrak Nilai Transaksi Hingga 5 Kali Lipat". Kompas. Retrieved 29 October 2018.