It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Northern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 1,566 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 494.30 square kilometres (190.85 sq mi) of which 146.52 km2 (56.57 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.5 inhabitants per square kilometre (12/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Keitele, Kuopio, Maaninka, Pielavesi, Rautalampi, Suonenjoki and Vesanto. 30% of area is covered by water. There is summer cottages as much as households.
Coat of arms
Location of Tervo in Finland
|Coordinates: 62°57′20″N 026°45′20″E|
|Sub-region||Inner Savonia sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Olli-Pekka Salminen|
|• Total||494.30 km2 (190.85 sq mi)|
|• Land||347.71 km2 (134.25 sq mi)|
|• Water||146.52 km2 (56.57 sq mi)|
|Area rank||222nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||283rd largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.5/km2 (12/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||11.5%|
|• 15 to 64||61.4%|
|• 65 or older||27.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.