Tan Chorh Chuan
Tan Chorh Chuan (陈祝全) is a former President of the National University of Singapore (NUS), serving from December 2008 to December 2017. He is Professor of Medicine at the National University of Singapore and Senior Consultant at the Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, National University Hospital (NUH). Currently, he also serves as the Deputy Chairman of Singapore’s Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) and Senior Advisor to the Governing Board of Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School.
Tan Chorh Chuan
Tan Chorh-Chuan at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in 2013
|2nd President of the|
National University of Singapore
December 1, 2008 – December 31, 2017
|Preceded by||Shih Choon Fong|
|Succeeded by||Tan Eng Chye|
|Alma mater||National University of Singapore|
|Profession||Professor of Medicine|
|Institutions||National University of Singapore|
|Thesis||Regulation of erythropoietin messenger RNA (1992)|
Tan started his medical career as a renal physician. He went on to serve in several concurrent hospital and academic appointments from 1987 beginning as a faculty member with the Department of Medicine at NUS and Registrar, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine at NUH. He became a Senior Consultant with the Division of Nephrology at NUH since 1997 and a Professor of Medicine with NUS since 1999. He was promoted to Chief and Head of the Department of Medicine from 1997 to 1998. Subsequently, he became the Dean of Faculty of Medicine, NUS and also Chairman of the NUH Medical Board from 1997 to 2000.
Tan served as the NUS's Provost and Deputy President between 2004 and 2007 and then as Senior Deputy President before assuming the appointment of President. In 2018, Tan was awarded NUS' highest academic appointment of University Professor.
Since January 2018, he has been the Chief Health Scientist at the Singapore Ministry of Health (MOH) and Executive Director of its new Office for Healthcare Transformation, which looks at issues in healthcare outcomes and delivery.
Tan was elected to International Member of the USA National Academy of Medicine in 2015. Election to the National Academy of Medicine is considered one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine in the United States.
Tan also received several honorary doctorates from:
- "404 - URL invalid". Archived from the original on 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2011-03-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-22. Retrieved 2011-03-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "NUS president Tan Chorh Chuan first Singaporean elected to the National Academy of Medicine". 2015-10-19.
- "NAM Elects 80 New Members, 2015".
- "Lougborough University Honorary Doctorates 2009".
- "Tan Chorh Chuan receives honorary Doctor of Science at Duke University, 2011".
- "King's awards honorary degree to President of National University of Singapore, 2012".
Shih Choon Fong
| President of National University of Singapore
December 1, 2008 - December 31, 2017
Tan Eng Chye