It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the South Karelia region. The municipality has a population of 4,714 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 761.94 square kilometres (294.19 sq mi) of which 416.88 km2 (160.96 sq mi) is water. The population density is 13.66 inhabitants per square kilometre (35.4/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Lappeenranta, Lemi, Puumala, Ruokolahti and Savitaipale.
Coat of arms
Location of Taipalsaari in Finland
|Coordinates: 61°09.5′N 028°04′E|
|• Municipal manager||Jari Willman|
|• Total||761.94 km2 (294.19 sq mi)|
|• Land||345.07 km2 (133.23 sq mi)|
|• Water||416.88 km2 (160.96 sq mi)|
|Area rank||224th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||183rd largest in Finland|
|• Density||13.66/km2 (35.4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||97.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||19.3%|
|• 15 to 64||64.2%|
|• 65 or older||16.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Municipality of Taipalsaari – Official website (in Finnish)
- GoTaipalsaari – Tourist information
- goSaimaa.com – travel information