Sustainable landscape architecture
Sustainable landscape architecture is a category of sustainable design concerned with the planning and design of outdoor space.
This can include ecological, politically correct, social and economic aspects of sustainability. For example, the design of a sustainable urban drainage system can: improve habitats for fauna and flora; improve recreational facilities, because people love to be beside water; save money, because building culverts is expensive and floods cause severe financial harm.
The design of a green roof or a roof garden can also contribute to the sustainability of a landscape architecture project. The roof will help manage surface water, provide for wildlife and provide for recreation.
- Public Health + Landscape Architecture: Health benefits of nature
- Community Design: Climate change, green infrastructure, healthy and livable communities, resilient design, sustainable transportation, sustainable urban development.
- Residential Design: Improving water management, increasing water efficiency, applying ecological design, using low impact materials.
The American Society of Landscape Architects also provide a sustainability toolkit that includes economic, environmental, and social models, for projects of different scales, that can be used in practicing landscape architecture.
The scales includes:
- The Sustainable Sites Initiative Accredited Professional (SITES AP) by The Sustainable Sites Initiative
- Envision Sustainability Professional (Env SP) by The Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP) by The United States Green Building Council (USGBC)
- Carbon cycle re-balancing
- Climate-friendly gardening
- Context theory
- Energy-efficient landscaping
- Green roof
- Green transport
- Landscape planning
- List of sustainable agriculture topics
- Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies at the California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Public open space (POS)
- Sustainable agriculture
- Sustainable gardening
- Sustainable landscaping
- Sustainable planting
- Urban agriculture
- Urban forestry
- Landscape and sustainability John F. Benson, Maggie H. Roe (2007)
- Sustainable Site Design: Criteria, Process, and Case Studies Claudia Dinep, Kristin Schwab (2009)
- Sustainable urban design: perspectives and examplesWork Group for Sustainable Urban Development (2005)
- The Sustainable Landscapes Conference at Utah State University
- Information on designing a sustainable urban landscape
- Sustainable Environmental Design and Landscape Stewardship