Stephen Glover (columnist)
Stephen Glover (born 13 January 1952) is a British journalist and columnist for the Daily Mail.
|Born||13 January 1952|
|Alma mater||Mansfield College, Oxford|
Glover co-founded The Independent in 1986 with Andreas Whittam Smith and Matthew Symonds. All three had previously been journalists on The Daily Telegraph and had left the paper towards the end of Lord Hartwell's ownership. Between 1986 and 1990 Glover was Foreign Editor of The Independent. In 1990 he became the founding editor of The Independent on Sunday. In 1992 Glover helped Richard Ingrams launch The Oldie magazine with fellow journalists Auberon Waugh, Alexander Chancellor, and Patrick Marnham.
Glover has been a columnist for the London Evening Standard (1992–95), The Daily Telegraph (1995–97), The Spectator (1996–2005) and The Independent (2005–12). He has written a column for the Daily Mail since 1998. In April 2012, The Guardian reported that Glover's contract with The Independent had been terminated.
In 2004, Glover proposed a new compact upmarket newspaper to be called The World with fellow journalists Francis Wheen and Frank Johnson under the chairmanship of Adam Broadbent, a former managing director of finances at Schroders plc. The proposed newspaper was loosely modelled on Le Monde in France, and was intended as a response to the dumbing down of some quality titles. It was reported that Glover and his colleagues sought only £15.4 million to launch The World, less than the budget for The Independent almost 20 years earlier, though this amount was subsequently slightly increased. The project did not get off the ground.
Glover is the author of Paper Dreams (1993), an account of the founding of The Independent, and editor of The Penguin Book of Journalism (1999). His first novel, Splash, was published by Constable in 2017.
- Stephen Glover: Articles http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?authornamef=Stephen%20Glover
- Compton Miller (28 August 2006). "Inside story: Introducing the Press Gang". The Independent.
- Stephen Glover (6 October 2006). "The Independent: Reflections on the last 20 years". The Independent.
- "Media Top 100: 2004". The Guardian. 12 July 2004.
- Ginny Dougary (13 August 2012). "Old at heart: Richard Ingrams". Financial Times.
- 'Media Monkey' "Stephen Glover's gone … over the critical edge", The Guardian (blog), 2 April 2012
- David Rowan,"Man with a new paper dream; Stephen Glover thinks we need another quality daily - but is there room in the market?" London Evening Standard, 24 March 2004.
- "Paper Dreams: Could there be a market for a serious paper?". The Economist. London. 26 February 2004.
- Chris Tryhorn (13 February 2004). "Glover hopes to launch new tabloid". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- "Stephen Glover Paper Dreams - AbeBooks". www.abebooks.co.uk.
- "Error Page - BookTrust". www.booktrust.org.uk.
- GLOVER, STEPHEN (28 October 2018). "SPLASH!: a novel". CONSTABLE – via Open WorldCat.