Somero (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈsomero]) is a municipality of Finland, located in the province of Western Finland and part of the Southwest Finland region. The municipality has a population of 8,827 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 697.67 square kilometres (269.37 sq mi) of which 29.9 km2 (11.5 sq mi) is water. The population density is 13.22 inhabitants per square kilometre (34.2/sq mi). Somero is unilingually Finnish.
Somero Lutheran Church
Coat of arms
Location of Somero in Finland
|Coordinates: 60°38′N 023°31′E|
|• Town manager||Sami Suikkanen|
|• Total||697.67 km2 (269.37 sq mi)|
|• Land||667.78 km2 (257.83 sq mi)|
|• Water||29.9 km2 (11.5 sq mi)|
|Area rank||127th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||111th largest in Finland|
|• Density||13.22/km2 (34.2/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.6%|
|• 15 to 64||59.2%|
|• 65 or older||25.2%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||18.5%|
Häntälä Hollows are the traditional biotope area in the villages of Häntälä, Talvisilla, Syväoja and Kerkola. The nature trail that begins at the Häntälä Village House is located in the area, where it is possible to explore its traditional landscapes. Häntälä Hollows is part of the wider Natura 2000 area of the Rekijokilaakso, which also extends to the city of Salo. The most significant main roads in Somero are the national road 52 through the town center and the regional road 280 in south of the town center, which is the most direct road connection to Helsinki.
Somero has been known as a trading place since the 14th century. The municipality was officially founded in 1867. The municipality of Somerniemi merged with Somero proper in 1977. Somero was moved from the province of Häme to the province of Turku and Pori in 1990. Currently it belongs to the province of Western Finland. Somero became a town (kaupunki) on January 1, 1993.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Torkkomäki, Matti (1998). Häntälän notkot. Somero: Lounais-Someron kyläyhdistys. ISBN 952-90-9918-5.
- Municipality of Somero – Official website