Mizrahi, in 2006.
Chairman of Maccabi Tel Aviv
Mizrahi is the senior partner in the B. Arnon – S. Mizrahi law office, and specializes in traffic violation cases. In 2006, he defended the prominent attorney Dori Klagsbald, in a high-profile case of manslaughter, following the death of two, a mother and child, that were killed by Klagsbald's vehicle.
Maccabi Tel Aviv
Mizrahi was appointed the chairman of the Maccabi Tel Aviv basketball club in 1969. In the wake of the club's financial problems, he introduced various strategies to rescue Maccabi from bankruptcy, such as selling tickets for Maccabi games, which had previously been free. Mizrahi realized that in order to secure Maccabi's dominance in the Israeli Super League, it would have to sign American players.
Since he became the club's chairman in 1969, Maccabi has won 42 Israeli Super League championships, winning the league's title in all but seven seasons (1992–93, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2012–13, 2014–15, 2015–16, and 2016–17). The club has also won 36 Israeli State Cups during his tenure. The club also won the Adriatic League championship (2012), with Mizrahi running the club. However, Maccabi's main achievement during his time as the club's chairman, includes the winning of 6 top level European-wide titles, as they won the EuroLeague championship 5 times (1977, 1981, 2004, 2005, and 2014), and also the FIBA SuproLeague championship (2001).
Mizrahi was at one time accused by rival clubs of failing to make the Israeli League more competitive, by having plans to implement payment limits to players. However, Mizrahi agreed to several new league rules which were meant to weaken Maccabi, such as the Brisker Rule, which limits the number of foreign players every team can sign, and the implementation of a Final Four, instead of a best-of-five playoff system, among other rule changes.
Awards and accolades
- In 2007, Mizrahi was chosen by Time magazine, as one of 50 best sport managers in the world.
- In 2011, he was awarded the Israel Prize for sports, for his long-time contribution to Maccabi Tel Aviv. Although this award was contested, it was upheld by the Supreme Court of Israel.
- In November 2018, Mizrahi was honored and announced as a EuroLeague Basketball Legend. He was the first EuroLeague Basketball Legend selected from the club executive level.
- Shimon Mizrahi International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame
- Shimon Mizrahi on Time list of 50 best sports managers in the world Ynet, 7 October 2007
- Shimon Mizrahi receives Israel Prize award in Sports Jerusalem Post, March 9, 2011
- Judges Rationale for grant of Israel Prize (in Hebrew), Israel Prize website
- Leave the prize winners in peace The Jerusalem Post, May 1, 2011
- "Maccabi's Mizrahi becomes Euroleague Basketball Legend". Welcome to EUROLEAGUE BASKETBALL. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- Shimon Mizrahi del Maccabi Tel Aviv diventa EuroLeague Basketball Legend (in Italian).
- Maccabi Başkanı Shimon Mizrahi, Euroleague efsanesi olarak onurlandırıldı! (in Turkish).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shimon Mizrahi.|
- Resume of Shimon Mizrahi at Israel Prize website (in Hebrew)