Securitas AB is a security services (security guarding and mobile patrolling), monitoring, consulting and investigation group, based in Stockholm, Sweden. The group has over 300,000 employees in 53 countries worldwide. Securitas AB is listed at Nasdaq OMX Stockholm, Large Cap segment.
Head Office in Stockholm, Sweden
|Publicly traded Aktiebolag|
|Traded as||Nasdaq Stockholm: SECU B|
|Melker Schörling (Chairman)|
Magnus Ahlqvist (President & CEO)
|Services||Security services (security guarding and mobile patrolling), monitoring, consulting and investigation|
|Owner||Gustaf Douglas, companies and family (10.9%; 29.6% votes)|
Melker Schörling, company and family (5.4%; 11.6% votes)
Number of employees
Securitas AB owns and operates the Swiss security company Protectas AG in Switzerland, where there already existed a security company called Securitas AG, part of the Swiss Securitas Group.
Securitas AB was founded in 1934 in Helsingborg, Sweden, as AB Hälsingborgs Nattvakt, when Erik Philip-Sörensen bought a small guarding company. In 1935, the name was changed to Förenade Svenska Vakt AB. The company expanded through acquisitions of several small security companies, initially in southern Sweden.
In 1972, the group was rebranded as Securitas, the Roman goddess of security and stability, with a logotype consisting of three red dots and the word "Securitas." The dots are described as representing the group's core values of "Integrity, Vigilance and Helpfulness."
In 1976, Erik Philip-Sörensen sold the Securitas group to his sons Jörgen Philip-Sörensen and Sven Philip-Sörensen, and in 1981, the group was divided between the sons, with the international operations developing into Group 4 and the Swedish operations retaining the Securitas brand.
In 1983, Securitas was sold to the holding company Skrinet, and in 1985, it was acquired by Investment AB Latour, controlled by Gustaf Douglas. Under the new ownership, the group focused on security, and in 1989, an international expansion began, with acquisitions in Norway, Denmark and Portugal, and establishment in Hungary.
In 1991, Securitas was listed at the Stockholm Stock Exchange. In 1994, the group distributed ASSA AB (acquired in 1988) to its shareholders. Throughout the 1990s, foreign acquisitions were made in eleven European countries and in the United States.
In February 1999, Securitas acquired Pinkerton, and in August 2000, Burns Security, and several regional security companies in the United States. These acquisitions made Securitas one of the largest security companies in the world. In 2001, a new organization took effect, with five business areas according to types of services offered, and Loomis Fargo & Company was acquired.
In 2003, the group's security services in the United States were integrated under the Securitas brand, and the group's cash handling services were completely divisionalized, with a joint management for U.S. and European operations.
In 2006, the divisions Securitas Systems (alarm, monitoring, and access control systems), and Securitas Direct (solutions for homes and small businesses) were distributed to the group's shareholders and listed at the Stockholm Stock Exchange. In the same year, the divisions Mobile (small and medium-sized customers), and Alert Services (electronic surveillance of homes and businesses) were created (as of 2007 constituting the business segment Mobile and Monitoring). Securitas Direct was later renamed to Verisure in all countries except Spain and Portugal.
In November 2007, the United Kingdom cash handling services of the division Loomis were sold to Vaultex Ltd, owned by HSBC and Barclays. Securitas began operating in Peru in November 2007. In 2008, the division Loomis (cash handling) was distributed to the group's shareholders and listed at Nasdaq OMX Stockholm.
In September 2010, Securitas acquired the security-services operations of Reliance Security Group in the United Kingdom. In November 2011, Securitas acquired Chubb Security Personnel in the United Kingdom.
In 2013, Securitas acquired Pinkerton Government Services, which provides cleared security services to governmental agencies and programs that require a Department of Defense or Department of Energy security clearance. This government services division of Securitas became known as Securitas Critical Infrastructure Services. This division operates both in the United States and worldwide when cleared services are needed overseas.
In October 2015, Securitas acquired Diebold Incorporated's (NYSE-DBD) Electronic Security business in North America. Diebold's North American Electronic Security business, based in Green, Ohio, United States, is the third largest commercial electronic security provider in North America. Diebold's North American Electronic Security business has approximately 1100 employees. The operation includes more than 55 000 monitored customer locations and 200 000 sites serviced.
Securitas is divided into three main business segments, "Security Services North America," "Security Services Europe," and "Security Services Ibero-America." Operations outside of the Americas and Europe are reported in a separate category called "Other," which also includes central expenses.
In general, the group operates under the brand Securitas for all business segments. However, sales to consumers are made under the Verisure brand in all countries except Spain and Portugal. Specialized services including due diligence, background checks, security assessments, brand protection, intellectual property protection, executive protection, investigations, cyber surveillance, computer forensics, social compliance and IT security are performed worldwide under the brand "Pinkerton."
These operations are reported as part of the North American business segment. There are three operations centers in North America: Toronto, Ontario, Parsippany, New Jersey and Westlake Village, California. The Swiss market is an exception to the name, in that general security services are provided under the brand Protectas.
|Europe including Turkey||19 percent|
|North America (Canada, Mexico and United States)||18 percent|
|Latin America excluding Mexico||14 percent|
|Other markets||Less than one percent|
Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China (with Hong Kong), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Jordan, Latvia, Luxembourg, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland (under the brand Protectas), Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States, Uruguay, and Vietnam.
Alf Göransson (born 1957) is president and CEO of Securitas.
|Name||Year of birth||Position||Year elected|
|Melker Schörling||1947||Chairman of the board||1987|
|Fredrik Cappelen||1957||Board member||2008|
|Carl Douglas||1965||Board member||1992|
|Marie Ehrling||1955||Board member||2006|
|Annika Falkengren||1962||Board member||2003|
|Alf Göransson||1957||Board member, president and CEO||2007|
|Fredrik Palmstierna||1946||Board member||1985|
|Sofia Schörling Högberg||1978||Board member||2005|
|Åse Hjelm||1962||Employee representative||2008|
|Susanne Bergman Israelsson||1958||Employee representative||2004|
|Jan Prang||1959||Employee representative||2008|
|Shareholder||A shares||B shares||Percent of capital||Percent of votes|
|Gustaf Douglas and family||12,642,600||29,470,000||11.54||30.02|
|Melker Schörling and family||4,500,000||16,008,700||5.62||11.75|
|Didner & Gerge Fonder Aktiebolag||0||14,330,017||3.93||2.76|
|Swedbank Robur funds||0||11,851,360||3.25||2.28|
|SEB Investment Management||0||11,799,892||3.23||2.27|
|JPM Chase NA||0||10,475,292||2.87||2.02|
|JPM Chase NA||0||8,918,715||2.44||1.72|
|CACEIS/Crédit Agricole CIB||0||8,000,000||2.19||1.54|
- Loomis for robberies committed against Loomis while it was a division of Securitas
- Securitas depot robbery for the events of 2006affecting the United Kingdom cash handling operations of the Loomis division of Securitas, at the time operating under the Securitas brand, and in 2007, sold to HSBC and Barclays
- "Annual Report 2016" (PDF). Securitas AB. pp. 21, 58, 62, 135.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-07-14. Retrieved 2009-07-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Söderberg, Sten (1979). Vakt av värde [Guard of value] (in Swedish). Stockholm: Securitas (printed by Kugel Tryckeri AB).
- Dictionary of Roman Religion, Lesley Adkins and Roy A. Adkins, 2001, Oxford Univ Press, ISBN 978-0-19-514233-4
- "Annual Report 2009" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- "Annual Report 2005" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "Our History". Securitas. Archived from the original on 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Annual Report 2000" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Securitas - press release". Cision Wire. 2009-02-22. Archived from the original on 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Securitas - press release". Cision Wire. 2000-08-03. Archived from the original on 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Annual Report 2001" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Annual Report 2003" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Annual Report 2006" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Annual Report 2007" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "About us". www.verisure.com.
- "securitas, mundo, seguridad, soluciones, tecnología - Securitas". Archived from the original on 2013-07-14.
- "Annual Report 2008" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Securitas to acquire Reliance Security Services in the United Kingdom". Securitas. 2010-09-30. Archived from the original on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- "Approval of Securitas' acquisition of Reliance Security Services in the United Kingdom". Securitas. 2010-11-10. Archived from the original on 2011-04-10. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- "Securitas completes acquisition of Chubb Security Personnel Limited in the United Kingdom". Securitas. 2010-04-01. Archived from the original on 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Annual Report 2012" (PDF). Securitas. March 15, 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 20, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "Annual Report 1999" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-06-01. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "History". Pinkerton. 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "Minutes of Annual General Meeting of shareholders in Securitas AB" (PDF). Securitas. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-01-23. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "Major shareholders". Securitas. Archived from the original on 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Securitas AB.|