In 1977, Kempson published Semantic Theory, which discusses the concept of entailment in linguistics. A proposition (P) is entailed by another (Q) if P is true when Q is true and Q is false when P is false, but Q is not strictly defined if P is true. She was awarded a Fellow of the British Academy in 1989. She has made contributions to the theoretical framework of Dynamic syntax.
- "Professor Ruth Kempson FBA". King's College, London. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Kempson, Prof. Ruth Margaret, (Mrs M. J. Pinner)", Who's Who (A&C Black; online edition, Oxford University Press, December 2016). Retrieved 30 November 2017 (subscription required).
- Allen, Keith (2014). Linguistic Meaning (RLE Linguistics A: General Linguistics). Routledge. p. 285. ISBN 978-1-134-74244-8.
- "FBA for two Kings Professors". King's College, London. 23 July 2010. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Ronnie., Cann, (2005). The dynamics of language : an introduction. Kempson, Ruth M., Marten, Lutz. Amsterdam: Elsevier. ISBN 9780126135367. OCLC 75427895.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)