Pielavesi is a municipality of Finland. It is part of the Northern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 4,496 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,406.51 square kilometres (543.06 sq mi) of which 253.27 km2 (97.79 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.9 inhabitants per square kilometre (10/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Iisalmi, Keitele, Kiuruvesi, Maaninka, Pihtipudas, Pyhäjärvi, and Tervo. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Lepikon Torppa, the birthplace of Urho Kekkonen
Coat of arms
Location of Pielavesi in Finland
|Coordinates: 63°14′N 026°45.5′E|
|• Municipal manager||Sami Miettinen (since 2010)|
|• Total||1,406.51 km2 (543.06 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,153.30 km2 (445.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||253.27 km2 (97.79 sq mi)|
|Area rank||65th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||186th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.9/km2 (10/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.4%|
|• 15 to 64||57%|
|• 65 or older||27.6%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
- Urho Kekkonen, a late President of Finland who ruled the country over two decades, was born in Pielavesi in a log cabin called Lepikon torppa.
- Lauri Kokkonen, author and playwright
- Ilpo Saastamoinen, musician and composer
- Antti Ruuskanen, javelin thrower and Olympic medalist
On the north-western side of the village lies lake Pielavesi.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Pielavesi in Järviwiki Web Service. Finnish Environment Institute. Retrieved 2014-03-17. (in English)
- Municipality of Pielavesi – Official website (in Finnish)