The Palermo fragment is a 2,500-year-old marble sculpture fragment of the foot and dress of the ancient Greek goddess Artemis.
The Palermo fragment was taken by Lord Elgin from the Parthenon in the early 19th century and given to the British Consul to Sicily in 1816. For the past two centuries, the fragment has been kept at the Salinas Archaeological Museum in Palermo. Greece's 13-year campaign for the return of the fragment ended on 24 September 2008, when Italian President Giorgio Napolitano delivered the fragment to Athens. It is anticipated that the move will strengthen Greece's request for the British Museum to return the Elgin Marbles.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-09-27. Retrieved 2008-09-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2008-09-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)