Pälkäne is part of the Pirkanmaa region. The municipality has a population of 6,496 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 738.15 square kilometres (285.00 sq mi) of which 177.65 km2 (68.59 sq mi). The population density is 11.59 inhabitants per square kilometre (30.0/sq mi).
Ruins of the medieval church in Pälkäne
Coat of arms
Location of Pälkäne in Finland
|Coordinates: 61°20.3′N 024°16′E|
|• Municipal manager||Esko Arasalo|
|• Total||738.15 km2 (285.00 sq mi)|
|• Land||560.49 km2 (216.41 sq mi)|
|• Water||177.65 km2 (68.59 sq mi)|
|Area rank||152nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||149th largest in Finland|
|• Density||11.59/km2 (30.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.9%|
|• 15 to 64||60.8%|
|• 65 or older||22.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish. Many people from Helsinki and the surrounding cities own summer cottages and residences in Pälkäne, making the small town very busy during summer vacation seasons. Pälkäne is a very popular summer vacation resort given its diverse services, high-quality swimming beach, beautiful nature and close location to big cities. From start of year 2007 Palkäne and Luopioinen were merged to a new municipality of Pälkäne.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Municipality of Pälkäne – Official website