Oliver Duff (editor)
Oliver Duff is a British journalist who has been the editor of the i newspaper since June 2013. He is currently the youngest editor of a UK national newspaper.
|Born||1983 (age 35–36)|
|Education||Cedars Upper School|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Cambridge|
|Occupation||Editor of the i newspaper|
|Home town||Leighton Buzzard|
Duff was born in 1983 in Leighton Buzzard. He is an ex-student of Cedars Upper School. Brought up in Bedfordshire, Duff had early career intentions of becoming an explorer, then Arsenal goalkeeper, before finally deciding on journalism, when he started writing for his local paper, the Leighton Buzzard Observer. He read Politics at St John's College, Cambridge (2001–2004), He became editor of the student paper, Varsity in 2002.
Before starting work in 2002, in newspapers as an admin assistant at The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph and The Observer. Then in 2003,he got a staff job as an admin assistant on the Independent newsdesk "writing odds and sods after hours" before moving up to a staff reporter role. Simon Kelner then offered him the job of editing the Pandora diary column.
He then worked as a travel writer (which he occasionally still does), and news editor. Although he was fired as a bar critic after three weeks, he (and an investigative team of reporters) was nominated for the Cudlipp Award (by British Press Awards) for excellence in popular journalism.
Until 2008, when he became deputy home news editor, shortly before Roger Alton replaced Simon Kelner as Independent editor in April 2008.
In 2010 Duff moved up to news editor and after a year in that job he was made executive editor under Chris Blackhurst (who became Independent editor in July 2011).
Duff was made editor of the i at the same time that Amol Rajan became editor of The Independent, in June 2013.
He lives in central London with his partner. Away from work, he is a member of the Royal Geographical Society.
- Ponsford, Dominic (10 December 2013). "Youngest Fleet Street editor bullish about future print and reveals i makes a lot money". pressgazette.co.uk. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Interview by Oliver Duff (27 June 2005). "Andrew O'Connor: My Life In Media – Media". The Independent. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Devlin, Amanda (9 October 2013). "Superhero vs a super waste of our money!". Leighton Buzzard Observer. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Hollander, Gavriel (24 June 2013). "Simon Kelner proud his protégés Rajan and Duff have become Indy editors". pressgazette.co.uk. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "SPS – Oly Duff". University of Cambridge. 2004. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Duff, Oliver (31 January 2014). "Sri Lanka: A fragile beauty that crosses old frontlines". The Independent. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Dumitriu, Sam (10 April 2014). "Interview: i editor Oliver Duff". mancunion.com. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Haul of British Press Award nominations for The Independent". The Independent. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Duff, Oliver (9 October 2013). "Why I decided to go Back to School". The Independent. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Johnson, Jasmine; Myers, Rebecca (12 March 2014). "Keeping an i on Oliver Duff". theboar.org. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Oliver Duff". speakers4schools.org. 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
| Editor of i