The cup is named after Seán O'Duffy, a member and administrator of the Kilmacud Crokes club in Dublin, who presented the trophy to the sport's governing body, the Camogie Association of Ireland (Irish :Cumann Camógaíochta na nGael), now the Camogie Association or an Cumann Camógaíochta in 1932.
An updated cup, modelled on the Ardagh Chalice, was presented in September 2007, valued at €25,000 with Wexford captain Mary Leacy the first player to lift it. Wexford were crowned champions for the first time since 1975.
- Moran, Mary (2011). A Game of Our Own: The History of Camogie. Dublin, Ireland: Cumann Camógaíochta. p. 460.