Sokos Hotel Tahkovuori in Nilsiä
Coat of arms
Location of Nilsiä in Finland
|Coordinates: 63°12.3′N 028°05′E|
|Sub-region||Northeastern Savonia sub-region|
|• Total||847.71 km2 (327.30 sq mi)|
|• Land||711.57 km2 (274.74 sq mi)|
|• Water||136.14 km2 (52.56 sq mi)|
|• Density||7.7/km2 (20/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Northern Savonia region. The town has a population of 6,528 (31 December 2012) and covers an area of 847.71 square kilometres (327.30 sq mi) of which 136.14 km2 (52.56 sq mi) is water. The population density is 9.1741/km2 (23.7608/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The last few decades have been a period of rapid progress for the town, especially its tourism. There are still plenty of traditional rural occupations, but also many kinds of commercial activities. Nilsiä has become the administrative and commercial centre of Northeast Savonia and it co-operates actively with the city of Kuopio. The services in Nilsiä are as diverse as in many larger towns.
Nilsiä has exceptionally much to offer to those who love sports and nature, whether it is winter or summer. Tahkovuori is a popular winter sport centre. There are also marked routes for snowmobile trainers.
In summer there are many marked paths for hiking and mountain biking. There is a marina and good fishing possibilities in lakes Syväri and Vuotjärvi, like in the Lastukoski rapids, too.
Nilsiä is also a well-known golf centre.
Nilsiä joined the city of Kuopio at the beginning of year 2013.
People born in Nilsiä
- Olli Zitting (1872 – 1929)
- Aatu Halme (1873 – 1933)
- Aaro Salo (1874 – 1949)
- Anni Savolainen-Tapaninen (1875 – 1952)
- Emil Rautaharju (1875 – 1947)
- Ville Korhonen (1877 – 1931)
- Pekka Heikkinen (1883 – 1959)
- Antti Tossavainen (1886 – 1962)
- Heikki Taskinen (1888 – 1952)
- Ville Kyrönen (1891 – 1959)
- Pauli Pitkänen (1911 – 1941)
- Osmo Vepsäläinen (1931 – )
- Raimo Tuomainen (1957 – )
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2012" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Archived from the original on 3 October 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.