Lois Mai Chan
Lois Mai Chan (Chinese: 麥麟屏, July 30, 1934 – August 20, 2014) was an American librarian, author, and professor at the University of Kentucky School of Library and Information Science until 2011. Her publications on cataloging, library classification, and subject indexing were recognized with various awards.
Lois Mai Chan
|Died||August 20, 2014 80) (aged|
Lexington, Kentucky, U.S.
|Alma mater||National Taiwan University, Florida State University (Master of Arts), University of Kentucky (Ph.D)|
|Known for||Contributions to the science of library cataloging and library science education|
On July 30, 1934, Chan was born in Taiwan. Chan's parents are Mai Wuzhi and Tuen-Mok Sau-Ng.
Chan earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from National Taiwan University. After moving to the United States, Chan obtained a Master's of Arts from Florida State University. Chan earned a Ph.D. degree in English Literature from the University of Kentucky.
In 1966, Chan began her library career as a serials cataloger at the University of Kentucky. By 1980, Chan was a professor in the library sciences department at University of Kentucky. Chan began publishing books in the late 1970s, beginning with Library of Congress Subject Headings: Principles and Application, a text on the Library of Congress (LC) system of subject headings. She followed with texts on library cataloging, the LC classification scheme, and the Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings: Principles and Application
- Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
- Immroth's Guide to the Library of Congress Classification
- Dewey Decimal Classification: a Practical Guide
- "Remembering Dr. Lois Mai Chan". Library and Information Science. University of Kentucky. Archived from the original on April 9, 2015. Retrieved October 2, 2015.
- "Lois M. Chan". Milward Funeral Directors. 2014. Archived from the original on September 24, 2014. Retrieved November 21, 2019.
- Chan, Lois Mai. Biography and Genealogy Master Index. Gale/Cengage Learning.
- "Awards". American Libraries. 37 (8): 43–61. 2006.
- "Lois Mai Chan Wins Beta Phi Mu Award". Chinese Librarianship (21): 5. 2006.
- "Fund Honors Professor Lois Chan". Library and Information Science. University of Kentucky. Archived from the original on September 24, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Liu, Mengxiong (2000). "The History and Status of Chinese Americans in Librarianship". Library Trends. 49 (1). Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- "Lois Mai Chan". americanlibrariesmagazine.org. 2014. Retrieved November 21, 2019.