Liverpool (1815 ship)
Liverpool was launched at Calcutta in 1815. She traded between Britain and India under a license from the EIC, and was lost in May 1823.
|Builder:||Michael Smith, Howrah, Calcutta|
|Fate:||Wrecked May 1823|
|Tons burthen:||515, or 527 (bm)|
In 1813 the British East India Company (EIC) lost its monopoly on the trade between India and Britain. British ships were then free to sail to India or the Indian Ocean under a license from the EIC.
Liverpool first appeared in Lloyd's Register (LR) in 1816 with J.Green, master, Capt. & Co., owners, and trade Liverpool–India. Thereafter she traded between Britain and India under a license from the EIC.
Liverpool was lost on the Long Sand, Bay of Bengal, on 27 May 1823 in a hurricane. There were only four survivors of her crew. LR for 1824 showed Liverpool with J. Green, master, Capt.& Co., owners, and trade Liverpool–Calcutta. The entry has the notation "lost" by her name.
Citations and references
- Hackman, Rowan (2001). Ships of the East India Company. Gravesend, Kent: World Ship Society. ISBN 0-905617-96-7.
- Phipps, John, (of the Master Attendant's Office, Calcutta), (1840) A Collection of Papers Relative to Ship Building in India ...: Also a Register Comprehending All the Ships ... Built in India to the Present Time .... (Scott).