List of shipwrecks in 1828
The list of shipwrecks in 1828 includes some ships sunk, wrecked or otherwise lost during 1828.
|Adamant||Her crew abandoned Adamant, Brown, master, as she was sailing from Quebec to London. Endeavour, of Hull, fell in with her and drove her onshore near Glace Bay. She was then sold under the authority of the Collector of Excise.|
|Betsey||The ship was lost on the coast of Labrador, British North America after 17 October. She was on a voyage from Quebec City, Lower Canada to Tralee, County Cork.|
|Bona Vista||The ship was wrecked on Kendall's Reef, Torres Straits. Her crew survived.|
|Caledonia||The ship foundered off Strathy Head, Caithness some time before 4 April.|
|HMS Doris||The frigate foundered off the coast of Brazil. Her crew were rescued.|
|Elizabeth||The whaler was lost in the Davis Straits.|
|HMS Hearty||The Cherokee-class brig-sloop foundered. Hearty was serving as a packet ship and was last seen a few days out of Barbados. She was officially paid off on 2 February 1828.|
|Kentish||The ship was run down and sunk by Clyde (|
|Madeira||The ship was wrecked at Maranhão, Brazil.|
|Maria||The transport ship foundered in the Gulf of Burgas with the loss of all on board, over 200 lives.|
|Morning Star||The ship was captured and scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean off Ascension Island by Defensor de Pedro (|
|Paragon||The whaler was wrecked in the Friendly Islands.|
|Relámpago||The ship-of-the-line was lost with all hands. She was on a voyage from Cádiz to the Spanish East Indies.|
|Speculation||The brig was wrecked at Cape Gregory, Newfoundland, British North America "at the end of the year". The wreck was burnt the following spring.|
|St. Anne||The East Indiaman was lost with all hands. She was on a voyage from Cádiz to the Spanish East Indies.|
|William||The armed brig was wrecked on a reef off Barbuda in mid-December.|
- The Times (25 March 1829), p.4.
- "Ship News". The Times (13992). London. 14 August 1829. col F, p. 1.
- "(untitled)". The Australian. 28 October 1828.
- "Ship News". The Morning Chronicle (18275). 10 April 1828.
- "Ship News". The Morning Chronicle (18500). 31 December 1828.
- "Naval Intelligence". Liverpool Mercury etc (906). 3 October 1828.
- "Loss of Lives and Property by Foundering at Sea". The Morning Chronicle (18116). 6 January 1829.
- "Ship News". The Standard (353). 4 July 1828.
- "Ship News". The Morning Chronicle (18392). 25 August 1828.
- "London, Thursday , January 8, 1829". The Times (13797). London. 8 January 1828. col A-B, p. 2.
- "(untitled)". The Standard (368). 22 July 1828.
- "Shipping Intelligence". The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser. 7 May 1828.
- "From Lloyd's List - Oct. 10". Caledonian Mercury (16716). 13 October 1828.
- "Naval Intelligence". Liverpool Mercury etc (970). 4 December 1829.
- "Ship News". The Standard (541). 9 February 1829.
- "Ship News". The Lancaster Gazette and General Advertiser, for Lancashire, Westmorland &c. (1444). 14 February 1829.
|Ship events in 1828|