Library of Congress Linked Data Service
|Owner||Library of Congress|
The first offering of the LC Linked Data Service was the Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) dataset, which was released in April 2009.
- Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH)
- Library of Congress Name authorities
- Library of Congress Classification—because LC Classification uses a different MARC format than LC Authorities, mapping LC Classification to MADS/RDF was more difficult than mapping LCSH or LC Name authorities.
- Library of Congress Thesaurus for Graphic Materials
- Various MARC codes
- Various preservation vocabularies
The service presents data in MADS/RDF and SKOS where appropriate, but also uses its own ontology to describe classification resources and relationships more accurately. All records are available individually via content negotiation as XHTML/RDFa, RDF/XML, N-Triples, and JSON.
Each vocabulary is also available to download in its entirety. Id.loc.gov does not currently provide a SPARQL endpoint.
All of LCSH are cross linked with RAMEAU (Répertoire d’autorité matière encyclopédique et alphabétique unifié), an authority file from the Bibliothèque nationale de France.
The id.loc.gov site initially used a fairly lightweight Python program to serve linked data.
- "About". LC Linked Data Service. Library of Congress. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Ford, Kevin (January 2013). "Library of Congress Classification as linked data". JLIS.it (Italian Journal of Library & Information Science). 4 (1). doi:10.4403/jlis.it-5465. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Guenther, Rebecca (2011-01-09). LC's Authorities and Vocabularies Web Service: experimenting with Linked Data (PDF). American Library Association Mid-Winter Conference. San Diego, CA. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Ford, Kevin (2 November 2010). ID.LOC.GOV, 1 ½ Years: Review, Changes, Future Plans, MADS/RDF (PDF). Digital Library Federation Fall Forum. Palo Alto, CA. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Summers, Ed; Isaac, Antoine; Redding, Clay; Krech, Dan; Schreiber, Guus; Summers, Ed (2008). "LCSH, SKOS and Linked Data". Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web. 20 (2013): 35–49. arXiv:0805.2855. doi:10.1016/j.websem.2013.05.001.
- "Technical Center". LC Linked Data Service. Retrieved 1 June 2014.