László "Laci" Babai (born July 20, 1950 in Budapest) is a Hungarian professor of computer science and mathematics at the University of Chicago. His research focuses on computational complexity theory, algorithms, combinatorics, and finite groups, with an emphasis on the interactions between these fields.
László Babai at Oberwolfach in 2011
|Alma mater||Hungarian Academy of Sciences|
|Awards||Gödel Prize (1993)|
Knuth Prize (2015)
Dijkstra Prize (2016)
|Fields||Computer Science, Mathematics|
|Institutions||University of Chicago|
|Doctoral advisor||Pál Turán|
Vera T. Sós
|Doctoral students||Mario Szegedy|
In 1968, Babai won a gold medal at the International Mathematical Olympiad. Babai studied mathematics at Eötvös Loránd University from 1968 to 1973, received a Ph.D. from the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 1975, and received a D.Sc. from the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in 1984. He held a teaching position at Eötvös Loránd University since 1971; in 1987 he took joint positions as a professor in algebra at Eötvös Loránd and in computer science at the University of Chicago. In 1995, he began a joint appointment in the mathematics department at Chicago and gave up his position at Eötvös Loránd.
He is the author of over 180 academic papers. His notable accomplishments include the introduction of interactive proof systems, the introduction of the term Las Vegas algorithm, and the introduction of group theoretic methods in graph isomorphism testing. In November 2015, he announced a quasipolynomial time algorithm for the graph isomorphism problem.
Graph Isomorphism in Quasipolynomial Time
After announcing the result in 2015, Babai presented a paper proving that the Graph isomorphism problem can be solved in quasi-polynomial time in 2016, at the ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing. In response to an error discovered by Harald Helfgott, he posted an update in 2017.
In 1988, Babai won the Hungarian State Prize, in 1990 he was elected as a corresponding member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, and in 1994 he became a full member. In 1999 the Budapest University of Technology and Economics awarded him an honorary doctorate.
- Professor László Babai’s algorithm is next big step in conquering isomorphism in graphs // Published on Nov 20, 2015 Division of the Physical Sciences / The University of Chicago
- Mathematician claims breakthrough in complexity theory, by Adrian Cho 10 November 2015 17:45 // Posted in Math, Science AAAS News
- A Quasipolynomial Time Algorithm for Graph Isomorphism: The Details + Background on Graph Isomorphism + The Main Result // Math ∩ Programming. Posted on November 12, 2015 by j2kun
- Landmark Algorithm Breaks 30-Year Impasse, Algorithm Solves Graph Isomorphism in Record Time // Quanta Magazine. By: Erica Klarreich, December 14, 2015
- A Little More on the Graph Isomorphism Algorithm // November 21, 2015, by RJLipton+KWRegan (Ken Regan and Dick Lipton)
- [Ласло] Бабай приблизился к решению «проблемы тысячелетия» // Наука Lenta.ru, 14:48, 20 ноября 2015
- copy from Lenta.ru // texnomaniya.ru, 20 ноября 2015
- Опубликован быстрый алгоритм для задачи изоморфизма графов // Анатолий Ализар, Хабрахабр, 16 декабря в 02:12
- Опубліковано швидкий алгоритм для задачі ізоморфізму графів // Джерело: Хабрахабр, перекладено 16 грудня 2015, 06:30
- Curriculum vitae from Babai's web site, retrieved 2016-01-28.
- László Babai at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Babai, László; Moran, Shlomo (1988), "Arthur-Merlin games: a randomized proof system, and a hierarchy of complexity class", J. Comput. Syst. Sci., 36 (2): 254–276, doi:10.1016/0022-0000(88)90028-1.
- Babai, László (1979), Monte-Carlo algorithms in graph isomorphism testing (PDF), Tech. Report, Université de Montréal.
- Cho, Adrian (November 10, 2015), "Mathematician claims breakthrough in complexity theory", Science, doi:10.1126/science.aad7416
- Klarreich, Erica. "Landmark Algorithm Breaks 30-Year Impasse". quantamagazine.org. Quanta Magazine.
- Theory of Computing editors, retrieved 2010-07-30.
- A Big Result On Graph Isomorphism // November 4, 2015, A Fast Graph Isomorphism Algorithm // November 11, 2015
- Claimed Breakthrough Slays Classic Computing Problem // MIT Technology Review, by Tom Simonite on November 13, 2015
- Babai, László (2016), "Graph Isomorphism in Quasipolynomial Time [Extended Abstract]", Proceedings of the Forty-eighth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC '16), New York, NY, USA: ACM, pp. 684–697, arXiv:1512.03547, doi:10.1145/2897518.2897542, ISBN 978-1-4503-4132-5
- László Babai: Fixing the UPCC case of Split-or-Johnson, posted on 14 January 2017
- Definition 2.3. String Isomorphism, in: Transactions on Computational Science V. Special Issue on Cognitive Knowledge Representation. Editors-in-Chief: Marina L. Gavrilova, C. J. Kenneth Tan. Editors: Yingxu Wang, Keith Chan / Lecture Notes in Computer Science / Volume 5540, Springer Verlag, 2009
- Coset intersection problem // The Group Properties Wiki (beta)
- Complexity of the coset intersection problem // Theoretical Computer Science Stack Exchange, asked Sep 25 2014 at 9:43
- 1993 Gödel Prize Archived 2015-12-08 at the Wayback Machine, ACM SIGACT, retrieved 2010-08-14.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences. 2015 Fellows and Their Affiliations