Kiran Sridhara Kedlaya (/ /; born July 1974) is an Indian American mathematician. He currently is a Professor of Mathematics and the Stefan E. Warschawski Chair in Mathematics at the University of California, San Diego.
|Born||June 1974 (age 45)|
|Alma mater||MIT (Ph.D. 2000)|
Princeton (M.A. 1997)
Harvard (B.A. 1996)
|Institutions||University of California, San Diego|
|Doctoral advisor||Aise Johan de Jong|
At age 16, Kedlaya won a gold medal at the International Mathematics Olympiad, and would later win a silver and another gold medal. While an undergraduate student at Harvard, he was a three-time Putnam Fellow. A 1996 article by The Harvard Crimson described him as "the best college-age student in math in the United States".
Kedlaya was runner-up for the 1995 Morgan Prize, for a paper in which he substantially improved on results of László Babai and Vera Sós (1985) on the size of the largest product-free subset of a finite group of order n.
In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
He was also a contestant on the game show Jeopardy! in 2011, winning one episode.
- p-adic Differential Equations, Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, Band 125, Cambridge University Press 2010
- with David Savitt, Dinesh Thakur, Matt Baker, Brian Conrad, Samit Dasgupta, Jeremy Teitelbaum p-adic Geometry, Lectures from the 2007 Arizona Winter School, American Mathematical Society 2008
- with Bjorn Poonen, Ravi Vakil The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition 1985-2000: Problems, Solutions and Commentary, Mathematical Association of America, 2002
- Kedlaya, Kiran. "About my name".
- "Exploring the mathematical universe". American Institute of Mathematics. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Silver Spring whiz kid brings home the gold". Washington Times. July 20, 1990.
- Hsu, Geoffrey C. (June 6, 1996). "Breaking the Curve". The Harvard Crimson.
- ——— (1997). "Large Product-Free Subsets of Finite Groups". Journal of Combinatorial Theory. Series A. 77 (2): 339–343. doi:10.1006/jcta.1997.2715.
- Babai, László; Sós, Vera T. (1985). "Sidon sets in groups and induced subgraphs of Cayley graphs". European Journal of Combinatorics. 6: 101–114. doi:10.1016/s0195-6698(85)80001-9.
- "ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897". International Congress of Mathematicians.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-27.
- Jeopardy! Archive – Show #6257, aired 2011–11–29
- Berger, Laurent (2012). "Review: p-adic differentials equations, by Kiran Kedlaya" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 49 (3): 465–468. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-2012-01371-X.