It is located in the Northern Savonia region. Kaavi is also a part of historical Karelia. The municipality has a population of 2,984 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 789.59 square kilometres (304.86 sq mi) of which 115.49 km2 (44.59 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.43 inhabitants per square kilometre (11.5/sq mi). It is 60 km from Kuopio and 90 km from Joensuu. Neighbouring municipalities are Kuopio, Juuka, Outokumpu, Polvijärvi and Tuusniemi.
Kaavi is located in the Northern Savonia.
Coat of arms
Location of Kaavi in Finland
|Coordinates: 62°58.5′N 028°29′E|
|Sub-region||Northeastern Savonia sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Ari Sopanen|
|• Total||789.59 km2 (304.86 sq mi)|
|• Land||674.10 km2 (260.27 sq mi)|
|• Water||115.49 km2 (44.59 sq mi)|
|Area rank||126th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||225th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.43/km2 (11.5/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.3% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.2%|
|• 15 to 64||59.3%|
|• 65 or older||25.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Origin of the name
In language of Sami (also spelled Sámi or Saami) the word kaavi means a boat harbour.
Lakes and rivers
86 swamps covers about 8% about municipalitys area. Swamps shape is typically small, narrow and broken because those have formed betveen hills.
The Finnish-Australian mining company Malmikaivos Oy found diamonds from bedrock of Kaavi in 1990's. One of the stones from the kimberlite of Kaavi (Lahtojoki deposit) has record high amount of diamonds.
Sights and activities
- Telkkämäki Nature Reserve (Heritage Farm)
- Juutila Foundry Museum (the only sand casting museum in the Nordic countries, foundry since 1881)
- Maarianrinteet Ski Centre
- Vaikkojoki River; shooting the rapids, fishing, hiking, canoeing
- Kaavi Blues Festival in June
- summertheatres in Luikonlahti and Maarianvaara
- Kaavi Church
- Orthodox Chapel in Luikonlahti
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Diamond rush expected in Finnish Karelia
- Helsingin Sanomat newspaper, 14 February 2006
- Suomen kuntien ystävyyskunnat Virossa