Tomb KV47, located in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt, was used for the burial of Pharaoh Siptah of the Nineteenth Dynasty, though Siptah's mummy was found in KV35. KV47 was discovered on December 18, 1905 by Edward R. Ayrton. Theodore M. Davis, Ayrton's sponsor, published an account of the site's discovery and excavation in 1908.
|Burial site of Siptah|
|Location||East Valley of the Kings|
|Discovered||18 December 1905|
|Excavated by||Edward R. Ayrton (1905–1907)|
Harry Burton (1912–1913)
Howard Carter (1922)
MISR Project: Mission Siptah-Ramses X (1999–current)
Ayrton stopped his excavation in 1907 due to safety fears, and Harry Burton returned in 1912 to dig further.
The cutting of Chamber J1 was halted after the workmen cut into Side Chamber Ja of the tomb of Tia'a, KV32. The workmen were forced to abandon the chamber and create a second burial chamber, Chamber J2
- Davis, Theodore M. The Tomb of Siphtah: With the Tomb of Queen Tîyi. London: Duckworth Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-7156-3073-3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to KV47.|
- Theban Mapping Project: KV47 - Includes detailed maps of most of the tombs.