The Istituto Marangoni is a private Italian school of fashion and design. It is based in Milan, in Lombardy in northern Italy, and has branches in Florence, London and Paris, Shanghai and Shenzhen in China, Mumbai in India, and Miami in the United States.
|Type||Private fashion school|
The school was founded in Milan in 1935 by the tailor Giulio Marangoni, and became a Scuola Professionale Artistica or "professional art school" in 1942. At first the school trained mainly pattern makers and seamstresses; in the 1970s and 1980s it turned towards fashion design, product development and marketing.:185
A London branch was opened in a former textile factory at 30 Fashion Street, Spitalfields, in 2003, and a Paris branch opened in 2006. A branch in Via de' Tornabuoni in central Florence opened in 2016. In China, branches were opened in Shanghai in 2013, and in Shenzhen in 2016. The Group opened its first school in India, in Mumbai, in July 2017.
Since June 2016 the Istituto Marangoni has been listed by the Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Università e della Ricerca, the Italian ministry of education, among the institutions authorised to award degrees in music, dance and arts.
In the UK, its BA and MA programmes are validated by the Manchester Metropolitan University, which also awards master's degrees at the Paris branch. A three-year fashion stylist course in Paris is approved by the Commission nationale de la certification professionnelle.
- Introducing Marangoni (in Italian). Istituto Marangoni. Archived 28 February 2005.
- Emanuela Cavalca Altan (2012). Moda e design in bilico. Nuove sfide e nuovi lavori (in Italian). Milano: Franco Angeli. ISBN 9788820401207.
- [s.n.] (30 August 2012). University guide 2013: Istituto Marangoni. The Guardian. Accessed August 2015.
- Lucie Muir (29 September 2004). Italian schools expand horizons. International Herald Tribune. (subscription required)
- UKPRN: 10009527: Istituto Marangoni Limited. UK Register of Learning Providers. Accessed August 2015.
- "New Paris Campus for Istituto Marangoni - News - Education". www.fashionunited.com. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- Ilaria Ciuti (6 September 2016). Moda, arte, design: sbarca a Firenze la scuola Marangoni (in Italian). La Repubblica. Accessed April 2017.
- Li Wenfang (26 December 2016). Learning Italian fashion in Shenzhen. China Daily. Accessed April 2017.
- Simone Preuss (31 July 2017) Istituto Marangoni School of Fashion inaugurates new Mumbai campus Fashion United India. Accessed 1 September 2017
- Fashionista: The Top 50 Fashion Schools In The World: The Fashionista Ranking
- Sophie de Tarlé (16 November 2011) L’Institut Marangoni vendu au groupe américain Providence (in French). Educpros.fr. Accessed March 2014.
- Istituzioni autorizzate a rilasciare titoli di Alta Formazione Artistica, Musicale e Coreutica (art.11 DPR 8.7.2005, n.212) (in Italian). Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Università e della Ricerca. Accessed March 2014.
- David Taylor, Hayley Randle (2013) Review for Educational Oversight: report of the monitoring visit of Istituto Marangoni, May 2013. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. Accessed March 2014.
- [s.n.] (28 August 2012). The fashion school. The Guardian. Accessed August 2015.
- Istituto Marangoni Limited. Higher Education Funding Council for England. Accessed August 2015.
- Partners, Manchester Metropolitan University. Manchester Metropolitan University. Accessed April 2017.
- Code RNCP: 26184, Intitulé Styliste-créateur(trice) (in French). Répertoire National des Certifications Professionnelles. Accessed April 2017.
- Ilaria Ciuti (12 June 2015). Marangoni a Firenze "Piace agli americani" (in Italian). La Repubblica. Accessed September 2015.
- John Seabrook (14 March 2005). Hands and Eyes: When Dolce met Gabbana. The New Yorker. Accessed May 2014.
- Julie de Libran. Business of Fashion. Accessed 3 January 2018.
- Rahul Mishra Story Weaver. Rahul Mishra. Accessed July 2017.
- Cristina Morozzi (2015). Fashion Forward: The Creatives of Istituto Marangoni (back cover blurb). Milan: Rizzoli. ISBN 9780847846696.