Indonesian units of measurement
System before metric system
Old Dutch and local measures were used under Dutch East Indies. Local measures were very variable, and later they have been legally defined with their metric equivalents.
1 hasta = 1⁄4 depa
A number of units were used to measure mass.
1 thail = 1⁄1600 pikol
1 catti = 1⁄100 pikol
1 kabi = 1⁄100 pikol
1 kulack = 0.0725 pikol
1 amat = 2 pikol
1 small bahar = 3 pikol
1 large bahar = 4.5 pikol
1 timbang = 5 pikol
1 kojang (Batavia) = 27 pikol = 1667.555 kg
1 kojang (Semarang) = 28 pikol = 1729.316 kg
For precious metals
1 wang = 1⁄48 thail
1 tali = 1⁄16 thail
1 soekoe = 1⁄8 thail
1 tji = 1⁄10 thail
1 tjembang Mata = 1⁄1000 thail
Two systems, dry and liquid, were used to measure capacity.
Several units were used to measure dry capacity. One kojang was equal to 2011.2679 l by its legal definition. One pikol was equal to 1⁄30 kojang.
A number of units were used to measure liquid capacity. Some other units and their legal equivalents are given below:
1 takar (for oil) = 25.770 l
1 kit (for oil) = 15.159 l
1 koelak (for oil) = 3.709 l
1 kan (for various products) = 1.575 l
1 mutsje (for various products) = 0.1516 l
1 pintje (for oil) = 0.0758 l.
Several local units were used in Sumatra.
Units for mass included:
1 catty = 2.118 lb
1 maund = 77 lb
1 pecul = 133 1⁄3 lb
1 candil = 423 1⁄2 lb
Several local units were used in Java. Old Dutch units too were in use, and other units were varied for example one town to another.:
Units for mass included:
1 gantang (for coffee) = 10 catties
1 pecul = 100 catties = 135.6312 lb
1 timbang (for grain) = 677.9625 lb
Units for capacity included:
1 kanne = 0.394 gallons
1 legger (for arrack) = 160.0 gallons
1 bambou (at Bantam) = 0.09223 bushels
1 koyang = 147.568 bushels
1 koyang (at Batavia; measure for rise) = 62432 bushels.
Celebes (Modern Sulawesi)
- Cardarelli, F. (2003). Encyclopaedia of Scientific Units, Weights and Measures. Their SI Equivalences and Origins. London: Springer. p. 151. ISBN 978-1-4471-1122-1.
- Washburn, E.W. (1926). International Critical Tables of Numerical Data, Physics, Chemistry and Technology. New York: McGraw-Hil Book Company, Inc. pp. 5, 6. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Clarke, F.W. (1891). Weights Measures and Money of All Nations. New York: D. Appleton & Company. p. 71.
- Clarke, F.W. (1891). Weights Measures and Money of All Nations. New York: D. Appleton & Company. p. 49.
- Clarke, F.W. (1891). Weights Measures and Money of All Nations. New York: D. Appleton & Company. p. 22.
- Clarke, F.W. (1891). Weights Measures and Money of All Nations. New York: D. Appleton & Company. pp. 52–53.