I Am a Strange Loop
I Am a Strange Loop is a 2007 book by Douglas Hofstadter, examining in depth the concept of a strange loop to explain the sense of "I". The concept of a strange loop was originally developed in his 1979 book Gödel, Escher, Bach.
In the end, we are self-perceiving, self-inventing, locked-in mirages that are little miracles of self-reference.— Douglas Hofstadter, I Am a Strange Loop p.363
|Subject||Consciousness, strange loops, intelligence|
|March 26th, 2007|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
|LC Class||BD438.5 .H64 2007|
|Preceded by||Gödel, Escher, Bach|
Hofstadter had previously expressed disappointment with how Gödel, Escher, Bach, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1980 for general nonfiction, was received. In the preface to its 20th-anniversary edition, Hofstadter laments that the book was perceived as a hodgepodge of neat things with no central theme. He states: "GEB is a very personal attempt to say how it is that animate beings can come out of inanimate matter. What is a self, and how can a self come out of stuff that is as selfless as a stone or a puddle?"
Hofstadter seeks to remedy this problem in I Am a Strange Loop by focusing and expounding on the central message of Gödel, Escher, Bach. He demonstrates how the properties of self-referential systems, demonstrated most famously in Gödel's incompleteness theorems, can be used to describe the unique properties of minds.
- Hofstadter, Douglas R. (1999). Gödel, Escher, Bach. Basic Books. pp. P–2 (Twentieth-anniversary preface). ISBN 0-465-02656-7.
- An Interview with Douglas R. Hofstadter, following I am a Strange Loop, by Tal Cohen, Tal Cohen's Bookshelf, June 11, 2008
- A New Journey into Hofstadter's Mind - book review by George Johnson in Scientific American, March 2007
- "Me, My Soul, and I". Wired. March 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- Author Interview by Greg Ross, American Scientist Online, March 22, 2007
- The I's Have It - book review by John Derbyshire, The Wall Street Journal, March 23, 2007
- The Mind Reader New York Times Magazine, April 1, 2007
- Gardner, Martin (August 2007). "Do Loops Explain Consciousness? Review of I Am a Strange Loop" (pdf). Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 54 (7): 853. Retrieved 2007-12-10.