Helmuth Lohner (24 April 1933 – 23 June 2015) was an Austrian actor, theatre director, and from 1997 to 2006 director of the Theater in der Josefstadt.
Born in Vienna, Lohner initially trained as a commercial artist, while also taking private acting lessons. He made his acting début in 1952 at the municipal theatre in Baden bei Wien. He also appeared as operetta buffo at the Stadttheater Klagenfurt. From 1953 to 1963 he appeared in various productions of the Theater in der Josefstadt, as well as making numerous film appearances.
Further engagements in Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Düsseldorf and Zurich followed. Between them he appeared at the Burgtheater, and at the Salzburg Festival several times, taking the roles of "Death", "The Devil" and "Jedermann" in Hugo von Hofmannsthal's play Jedermann (which by tradition is performed every year). He made his film debut in 1955 in Josef von Báky's Hotel Adlon. From 1963 he was active in television as actor and director.
Lohner married and divorced the German actress Susanne Cramer twice. Their daughter Konstanze Lohner is a pedagogue in Germany. He then married the German actress Karin Baal, with whom he had a daughter, actress Therese Lohner. In 2011, he married Elisabeth Gürtler-Mauthner. The couple lived together for 19 years before their marriage.
As opera director
- Hotel Adlon (1955)
- King in Shadow (1956)
- Widower with Five Daughters (1957)
- The House of Three Girls (1958)
- Eva (1958)
- The Spessart Inn (1958)
- Die schöne Lügnerin (1959)
- Marili (1959)
- My Husband, the Economic Miracle (1960)
- Pension Schöller (1960)
- Mrs. Warren's Profession (1960)
- Blond muß man sein auf Capri (1961)
- The Last Chapter (1961)
- Mann im Schatten (1961)
- …und ewig knallen die Räuber (1962)
- Hannibal Brooks (1968)
- Babeck (1968, TV miniseries)
- Liliom (1971 TV film), directed by Otto Schenk
- Reigen,directed by Otto Schenk
- Derrick – Season 1, episode 2: "Johanna" (1974, TV)
- Zucker (1989,TV film)
Decorations and awards
- 1980 Kainz Medal
- 1988 Nestroy Ring
- 1991 Gold Honorary Medal of Vienna
- 1992 Kammerschauspieler
- 2001 Nestroy nomination for Best Actor
- 2003 Honorary Member of the Theater in der Josefstadt
- 2003 Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art, 1st class
- 2006 Gold Medal for services to the City of Vienna
- "Der Schauspieler und Regisseur Herbert Föttinger wird ab Saison 2006/07 Nachfolger von Helmuth Lohner". Der Standard (in German). 14 June 2005. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.oe24.at/leute/oesterreich/42-Gaeste-bei-Elisabeth-Guertler-So-war-die-Hochzeit/50566923&ei=3iiYT7mzLqefiAKS3P3PDw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CF0Q7gEwBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DElisabeth%2BGuertler%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_de%26as_qdr%3Dall%26tbs%3Dlr:lang_1de%26prmd%3Dimvnso. Missing or empty
- Ronald Pohl. "Schauspieler Helmuth Lohner gestorben". derStandard.at.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question" (PDF) (in German). p. 1551. Retrieved 19 December 2012.