HMS La Hogue

HMS La Hogue was a 74-gun third-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 3 October 1811 at Deptford.[1] She was named named after the 1692 Battle of La Hogue. "The La Hogue of 1811 [...] sported a green and chocolate lion, its grinning mouth displaying rows of white teeth and a huge red tongue."[2]

La Hogue
Name: HMS La Hogue
Ordered: 1 October 1806
Builder: Deptford Dockyard
Laid down: April 1808
Launched: 3 October 1811
Fate: Broken up, 1865
General characteristics [1]
Class and type: Vengeur-class ship of the line
Tons burthen: 1750 bm
Length: 176 ft (54 m) (gundeck)
Beam: 47 ft 6 in (14.48 m)
Depth of hold: 21 ft (6.4 m)
Propulsion: Sails
Sail plan: Full rigged ship
  • 74 guns:
  • Gundeck: 28 × 32-pounder guns
  • Upper gundeck: 28 × 18-pounder guns
  • Quarterdeck: 4 × 12-pounder guns, 10 × 32-pounder carronades
  • Forecastle: 2 × 12-pounder guns, 2 × 32-pounder carronades
  • Poop deck: 6 × 18-pounder carronades

During the War of 1812, while under the command of Thomas Bladen Capel, HMS La Hogue successfully trapped the American privateer Young Teazer of the coast of Nova Scotia, British North America.

On 16 August 1813 La Hogue captured the Portuguese ship Flor de Mar. At the time HMS Tenedos was in sight.[Note 1]

La Hogue was driven ashore at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on 12 November 1813 during a storm.[4] She was refloated, repaired, and returned to service.

From 7–8 April 1814, ships' boats of the La Hogue, Endymion, Maidstone and Borer attacked Pettipague point.[5][6] In 1847 the Admiralty awarded the Naval General Service Medal with clasp "8 Apr Boat Service 1814" to all surviving claimants from the action.[7] The raid was commanded by Coote,[8] who was promoted as a result of the successful outcome, as was Lieutenant Pyne of the La Hogue who assisted him.[9]

In September, 1814 La Hogue landed near the Old Scituate Light station with the intent of sending a raiding party into the town. Rebecca and Abigail Bates, the lighthouse keeper's daughters, repulsed the attack by playing a drum and a fife that had been left at the station.

She was converted into a screw-propelled steamship frigate in 1850. From 1852 she acted as a guard-ship at Devonport under the command of Captain William Ramsay and saw her final service, still under Ramsay, on duties in the Baltic Sea during the Crimean War.[10] On 18 September 1855, she ran aground off Renskär, Sweden and was severely damaged. She was refloated with the assistance of three gunboats after her lower deck guns were taken out.[11]

She was eventually broken up in 1865.[1]

Notes, citations, and references

  1. A first-class share of the prize money was worth £252 0sd; a sixth-class share, that of an ordinary seaman, was worth £1 11s 11¾d.[3]
  1. Lavery, Ships of the Line vol.1, p188.
  2. Lubbock, Basil (1922), The Blackwall Frigates, p.21.
  3. "No. 17209". The London Gazette. 14 January 1817. p. 88.
  4. "Marine List". Lloyd's List (4833). 27 December 1813.
  5. James, p325
  6. Jerry Roberts. "The British raid on Essex". Retrieved 3 February 2014.
  7. "No. 20939". The London Gazette. 26 January 1849. pp. 247–247.
  8. Wetherell, W.D. (2002). This American River: Five Centuries of Writing about the Connecticut. UPNE. pp. 56–59. ISBN 9781584651116. Letter from Coote to Capel dated 9 April 1814
  9. Marshall, pp301-304
  11. "The Baltic Fleet". The Times (22175). London. 3 October 1855. col C-E, p. 8.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.